cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lied to by customer service and overcharged

Jalal1
Joining in

Hello, My package offer was ending this month at 17th of October and I had called to let them know that when my offer ends I would like to end the package or move to a different one however the lady kept telling me to call just before and I had asked multiple times to end the contract before my offer expired but she kept dodging it and saying to just end it before the date. I called again today to change to a different plan so I would not get overcharged when the offer ends and the person on the phone told me "£31.00" and I said "£31.00???" and immediately said yes. However, when the person was reading the terms and prices and details they read it too quickly and it was unclear what they were saying. I later checked my emails to not only see I was being charged the price after my offer ends but also the new package was "£51.00" and not "£31.00". I am going to call back tomorrow a day before the package ends and will make sure to switch broadband as the customer service has been appalling. But I am asking about being overcharged and being told they would end my contract when my offer expires however that has not been done. So I would kindly request for someone to look into this.

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

No excuse for the antics of the VM sales person but they are exploiting the fact that you seem a bit unsure if you are cancelling or renewing.

Before ringing VM back, do some research on what the alternative package/company is that you would switch to if you left VM by way of a reference price to compare against anything VM offers to keep your custom.

This may also be helpful because VM's offers are 'of the moment' so you won't get the same offer if you want to think about it and ring back later.

VM are supposed to record these sales calls but, if you can, record the call yourself for evidence of what was offered.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey there @Jalal1, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums.

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the bill and pricing.
I will look in to this matter for you and clarify, as well as rectify the matter.
I will send a private message.
Watch out for the purple envelope inviting you in.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello, I have called back today and told me the person didn't apply the promo code and there was a note that said we agreed on 31 pounds so the person kindly fixed that issue. Also for being overcharged they have agreed to take some money off my next bill to make up for it. Although some customer service has been terrible, I have decided to stay but thank you anyways.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I called again today to change to a different plan so I would not get overcharged when the offer ends and the person on the phone told me "£31.00" and I said "£31.00???" and immediately said yes.

Well, you have yourself a contract at thirty one quid.  I see forum staff are on the case, they can sort this out for you.  In terms of legal rights, any information provided by a company that you rely on when entering into a contract is legally binding if you accept the offer (Consumer Rights Act 2015, Section 50).  There is nothing VM can say or do that over-rides statute law, so "offered the wrong deal by mistake" or any similar excuses don't wash.

Hey @Jalal1, thanks for the update!

I'm glad to hear the issue has been resolved and that some compensation was given for the mishap.
As always - we're here if you need anything.

Kind regards,
Ilyas

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs