Menu
nbcaldon
Superfast
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Left VM but still being billed

I cancelled my contract on 13th April, giving the necessary 30 days notice (as I was out of the minimum contract period). Having to do this on the phone is very unsatisfactory as it provides no evidence, but fortunately VM emailed me with a 'hope everything goes well with your move'.  Not only that, they sent me the packaging to return the box and modem, so I returned it when I moved out of the property and have had an acknowledgement from VM that they have received the equipment from me.

So I was expecting a final bill up to 13th May....

Well, blow me down if I didn't just get a bill for a full month from 9th May to 8th June at the full monthly rate!!!

If VM take a full month's payment 'on or after 28th May', I will be very upset, and VM should expect me to claim a refund plus my costs.

My case does not seem to be an isolated one, and it seems to me that it might be VM policy to extract as much money as possible from people who are leaving. If this is so, it is a very shortsighted policy, as it only results in alienating customers who might otherwise have returned to VM at a later date.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Left VM but still being billed

if you gave you 30 days notice on 13th Apr and the next bill was on 9th May then it will take the full bill as you did not cancel until 13th may.

Once canceled you will get a cheque for any amount you are due a refund

0 Kudos
nbcaldon
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I cancelled on 13th April, giving notice that the services were to stop on 13th May.

VM are not due any payments for services after 13th May.

Their bill includes charges up to 8th June, which they know are not valid.  It is a nonsense for them to take money that they know is not due and will have to be repaid.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

but that is how the billing works. you get billed as normal until the date you cancel.

you said your account closes on 13th may.
you said your new bill is from 9th May to 8th June.

So the last bill was generated when you still had active services. you will get a refund 40 days after the accoutn closes. That is normal.

nbcaldon
Superfast
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Turns out that the billing system does work after all.

I have now received a new bill covering the final period, and giving a credit against the previous bill, so that VM will only take payment for the final period instead of for the whole month, and a refund cheque will not be required.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for popping back with the update nbcaldon, glad things worked out in the end. 

Don't hesitate to give us another shout if there's anything else 👍

Tom_F

0 Kudos