cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving Virgin

WynneK
Joining in

Why is is so difficult to leave?  I phoned yesterday - my contract finishes on 23rd August - and said I would not be renewing.  Told that they could not do that and I had to phone exactly 30 days before or I would have to pay for ending contract early.

I said I did not want to end early - wanted it to end on 23rd August but this is impossible apparently.

How crazy is that?

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

@WynneK wrote:

Why is is so difficult to leave?  I phoned yesterday - my contract finishes on 23rd August - and said I would not be renewing.  Told that they could not do that and I had to phone exactly 30 days before or I would have to pay for ending contract early.

I said I did not want to end early - wanted it to end on 23rd August but this is impossible apparently.

How crazy is that?

Not really considering you accepted the terms and conditions when signing up, which of course you referred to before commenting on this forum:

https://www.virginmedia.com/legal/fibre-optic-services-terms-conditions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Flagged to forum team as they are best placed to help further; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

FYI: similar issue raised recently Solved: Re: ADVANCE NOTICE OF INTENTION TO CANCEL - Virgin Media Community - 5058889 demonstrating it is acceptable.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi WynneK

Thanks for posting - sorry to hear of this dispute. You can give upto 60 days notice. So I shall PM you to ensure this is dealt with and fed back.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

t&c states you can cancel at any time but may incur charges depending on factors such as if cancelling within the minimum term period. Since the user is requesting to terminate on the contract end date there should not be any early termination fees incurred. Nowhere does it state Virgin must given precisely 30 days and no more (less is kind of obvious).

@thecableguy wrote:

t&c states you can cancel at any time but may incur charges depending on factors such as if cancelling within the minimum term period. Since the user is requesting to terminate on the contract end date there should not be any early termination fees incurred. Nowhere does it state Virgin must given precisely 30 days and no more (less is kind of obvious).

in several places it defines:

If you choose to end your agreement you can do so on 30 days’ notice but if this is during your minimum period then you may need to pay an early disconnection fee, please see above

To me that reads you give 30 days notice to end, not more.

I sympathise!

I gave 30 days notice after contract finished and still having problems getting it through to them that I now have Sky and want to return Virgin equipment. I have email evidence of cancellation over 30days ago but trying to get them to accept that even with evidence is ridiculous . I am expecting to be charged for another month!

It can read how you like, if it doesn't implicitly state it then it's not the case.

"either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice."

Hi Tonyou60

Thanks for posting - sorry to hear of this issue with the cancellation. If you call the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 or use our WhatsApp Messenger on 07305327112 - and we'll assist further. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill