Menu
spcdust
Just joined
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin Media

Having been with Virgin Media on 100mb Broadband, Weekend Talk and basic TV package I'm now serving my30 day notice due to extreme price rise when I come to the end of my contract.  Phoned up to cancel and operator made lots of noise about how other Broadband providers were so bad and I'd regret leaving Virgin, however when I said it just wasn't good value for money the operator said "let me see what I can do for you" and came back with a new price which was about £13.00 more than I am currently paying.  When I tied to trim services down, such as dropping TV all together, if I recall the price remained the same or possibly increased.

I'm willing to be a loyal customer but when Virgin treat existing customers like a cash cow yet can offer new customers deals which are over half the price they want to charge current customers something has got to give.  Looks like Vodafone 65Mb/s service is the way to go - basically half the price Virgin want to charge and only a small reduction in speed which is fine (the speed is relative). Also, my phone line hasn't worked for the best part of the last month but can't really see the point of fixing it now as I'm an outgoing customer.

Be good if Virgin staff reached out as maybe I can postpone the Vodafone switch but they really have to work harder to retain customers as other providers are gradually catching up with speeds.

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Virgin Media

'I'm willing to be a loyal customer'

but only if you get a cheaper deal than the standard rate most other 'loyal' customers pay every single year.

'but when Virgin treat existing customers like a cash cow yet can offer new customers deals which are over half the price they want to charge current customers something has got to give'

those customers paying the 'cash cow' prices are what keeps the business going. sky and bt do the same. sky certainly couldn't afford to spend millions on football if everyone were on very low profit margin new customer prices.

look at it this way. your current milkman charges 60p a pint. i come along and say that for a period of time i can sell you milk for 25p a pint. any 'loyalty' to your old milkman evaporates and you sign up with me. i'm making 1p a pint for the next few months, but then gradually increase the price when you see the good service and milk i provide. most customers will stay with me because of that. you decide to go elsewhere again because of my cash cow prices.

this is how the whole industry works. the price you refuse to pay is the going rate. the whole process and business model re new customer prices is encouraged by the regulator and through successive governments.