cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the CS advisor misleading me on the price increases?

shimganar
Joining in

Hi all,

I've read all about these upcoming price increases. I entered a renegotiated contract with Virgin last Summer for Gig1 broadband at a slightly reduced rate.

Customer services told me today my price is not changing when I explicitly asked about the new contracts coming in.

Is this accurate? I can't find any examples online of people 'avoiding' the new contracts and price increases.

Even if it is accurate can I cancel for free regardless? BT is a fair bit cheaper for their 900mb rate.

Tyvm for your help.

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It depends if your deal is fixed price or fixed discount. If it’s fixed discount they can put prices up during your contract.

Be aware that BT are using a similar formula to VM to calculate yearly price increases. This years rise is bigger than VMs.

https://www.bt.com/tell-me-more 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @shimganar 

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums, it's great to have you here.

We are very sorry for any confusion caused and a big thank you to nodrogd for their help so far on this. 

To clarify if an agent has stated there is no rise and you have not received a letter then there would be no reason to think that you would have a price increase. 

This does mean however that your contract would remain the same and there would be no right to cancel initiated. 

Have a look at your contract. As an example, mine (on 25 February 2022) says this:

Your monthly service charge £99.00
Then £141.00 from Friday 25th August 2023

So, I keep paying £99pm (plus the £7pm for the Sky Sports UHD I recently added) until 24 August, after which there will be a 2023 price rise as notified to me in an email dated 24 February 2023 followed by another price rise from April 2024 at a rate of RPI plus 3.9 percentage points. If I don't like the 2023 price rise I have until 4 April 2023 to change or cancel without paying any cancellation fee.

Edited to emphasise that you cannot cancel without penalty unless offered this by letter or email.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Even if you have no price increase, you can still cancel without penalty because of the substantial change in T&C's regarding future price changes and this will say so in the email.

What's unclear is if you don't receive the email and people wait till first bill comes in with price increase before they get wind.

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi shimganar, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had a price increase and when this happens we will allow you to cancel without an early disconnection fee. 

As per the terms and conditions it states that all prices are subject to a price increase. 

Have you spoken to the customer relations team to ensure that you are on the best possible deal?

Kind regards, Chris.