cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intruder in WhatsApp conversation with Virgin Media

Scelta
Tuning in

I contacted VirginMedia because my daughter's email ceased working this afternoon. I was asked if I would continue the conversation via WhatsApp. I agreed and provided details of my account. When I typed in '.com' as part of my daughters email address I received a message informing me that 'media.com domain is for sale'.

When I asked Virgin how this could happen I received another message from 'Domain Brokerage - Saw.com'' 

I thought the WhatsApp connection was secure - how can another person intrude. Presumably they now have access to my account details.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I very much doubt your app-conversation was hacked in any way.

What's quite likely is that your phone has a setting to autofill/autoguess website addresses in text entry windows, and another setting to preview weblinks that are inserted into messages. We would need to know what OS your phone uses, to advise further - i.e. do you have an Android phone or iOS?

If you wanted to post a screenshot of this error, with any personal details blanked out, then that may help confirm this theory, or identify what else could be the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I very much doubt your app-conversation was hacked in any way.

What's quite likely is that your phone has a setting to autofill/autoguess website addresses in text entry windows, and another setting to preview weblinks that are inserted into messages. We would need to know what OS your phone uses, to advise further - i.e. do you have an Android phone or iOS?

If you wanted to post a screenshot of this error, with any personal details blanked out, then that may help confirm this theory, or identify what else could be the issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Japitts

Thanks for your response. I attach a screen shot of the second 'advert'. In my first message to Virgin I mistyped an email address so that the 'media.com' was separate from 'Virgin'. That prompted the appearance of the first 'advert'. I then messaged Virgin to ask why I had received the first 'advert' and that prompted the second one. That suggests to me that my conversation was being monitored and not encrypted.

I have been in touch with WhatsApp support who say it is a spam/overlay message generated from an unauthorised third-party and did not come from WhatsApp. They say "there are significant risks associated with using unofficial apps to send personal messages and data such as your location, as well as receiving files or links". That much I knew but I was not using an unauthorised App. Virgin invited me to embark on the conversation via WhatsApp which I did.

I have had further exchanges with WhatsApp but still no explanation as to what happened and they do not seem overly concerned.WhatsApp (2).jpg