cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to terminate contract

karolinast
Joining in

Good afternoon,

I am trying to cancel my contract with Virgin Media for nearly a week now.

On the phone: I'm being transfered multiple times between moving/retention/termination departments, kept on hold, sometimes even for 10 minutes, just to be told that there is a system issue so my request cannot be fulfilled and I should try later or the next day.

Chat: first of all, there is no direct link on cancellation page in help section, obviously. But if you go to upgrades, it's big, it's red and it works. So I went this way, connected to bot, tried "I would like to terminate my contract" - we're too busy, you should try WhatsApp or call. So I went back to upgrades page, opened chat again and this time I wrote "I would like to upgrade my package". Connected to an agent in seconds. Asked him about cancellation - different department, you should try to call bla bla bla.

WhatsApp: no one's answering for hours so it's not even worth trying.

How does it comply with the below?

Ofcom Fairness Code, Paragraph 5: "Customers can sign up to, change and leave their services quickly and smoothly. Providers ensure that customers who are leaving do not face additional barriers or hassle compared to those who are signing up to new services;"

So how can I cancel those services if I'm being pushed back all the time? I'm out of contract already, so all I need is just 30 days notice which I can't get. I'm already paying for the service I don't want.

I would like to try via post but I'm not sure which address is correct as I can find Nottingham, Sunderland and Swansea one... This is ridiculous and should be regulated by law. Any advise?

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @karolinast 

The Swansea and Nottingham addresses are outdated and are no longer shown on the VM site so you may have brought up older links using a search engine.

You can cancel using the good old fashioned Royal Mail. If writing include all of your account details and send it by registered (signed for) post to 

Virgin Media
Sunderland
SR43 4AA

Info below from Section N Terms_and_Conditions_TV_Fibre_and_Phone 

N. Other ways to end this agreement
1. In addition to your rights to cancel during the cooling off period, either you or we may end this agreement at any time (including during or at the end of any minimum period) by giving the other 30 days’ notice. You can provide notice and end this agreement under this provision by: 
1. dialling 0345 454 1111 from any phone (for information on how much this call will cost from a Virgin Media home phone visit virginmedia.com/ callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary); or
2. writing to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @karolinast,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're wanting to leave our services and that you've had issues getting in touch with our team about this. 

I can understand how frustrating this can be for your and I'll be happy to look into this and see what we can do to rectify this issue and help resolve any issues you're having.

I'll send you a Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I'll be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

infidel
Dialled in

I have just phoned the retentions department regarding leaving Virgin Media and gave up after half an hour in the Queue. During my wait I was repeatedly offered a £6 reduction off the £12 they were increasing my present contract for six month's with no change of terms or conditions. I had only negotiated my present contract of 18 month three months ago. To be frank I might have settled with this offer just to delay the hassle of leaving for six months.But I am so disgusted I will be leaving virgin as soon as I manage to get through to them on the phone.  I don't like being mislead or tricked           

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@infidel wrote:

I have just phoned the retentions department regarding leaving Virgin Media and gave up after half an hour in the Queue. During my wait I was repeatedly offered a £6 reduction off the £12 they were increasing my present contract for six month's with no change of terms or conditions. I had only negotiated my present contract of 18 month three months ago. To be frank I might have settled with this offer just to delay the hassle of leaving for six months.But I am so disgusted I will be leaving virgin as soon as I manage to get through to them on the phone.  I don't like being mislead or tricked           

If you wish to leave with no further discussion with VM, you can write in by post as per below with the required info

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/leaving

Use a first class signed-for delivery service for proof of delivery and give your 30 days notice that way.

Hi Infidel 👋 welcome back to community thanks for joining the thread! 

Sorry to hear about the wait times whilst trying to cancel with us by phone. Sadly we are limited with what support we offer via community (we generally do not support with package changes, cancellations or O2 Mobile issues.) You can see more information including all the ways to cancel here 👉 How to cancel Virgin Media broadband & TV | Virgin Media Help.  You can call us on📞 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a VM landline. Text us 📲 on +44753 305 1809, and WhatsApp us on +447305 327 112 .

Can you give us a little more information as to why you feel you were mislead regarding your contract just so we can offer further support and help get a complaint raised for you if needed? You can find the full terms and conditions here 👉 https://virg.in/legals

Let us know a little more information and how you get on with your cancellation! All the best. 🌞

Molly

Dial 150 from your home phone line, options 1,1,1,4,4 for thinking of leaving.

call between 8-9 am and you should get straight through to the uk call center and they should help

Good Luck