cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If your Tivo box breaks are you in breach of contract if you do not sign up for VM broadband?

Rillington
Up to speed

As per question.

I am a TV-only customer and many TV-only customers, such as myself, are happily contracted with other ISPs so as and when their Tivo box develops an issue or breaks it seems as though VM will not replace the box with another Tivo box. Therefore, to continue to receive TV from VM you are forced to pay for VM's broadband service, therefore meaning that those customers would be forced to pay for two internet services or pay contract-break charges with their current ISP.

Therefore should the Tivo box break, and VM refuse to replace it, would customers either have to pay for a TV service they cannot receive or would they have to pay VM's contract break charges if they do not pay for VM's internet service to enable them to continue to receive VM's TV service?

10 REPLIES 10

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I don’t know the answer but would think Virgin Media would allow any such customer out of any remaining minimum period without early disconnection charges.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Rillington wrote:

As per question.

<snip>

Therefore should the Tivo box break, and VM refuse to replace it, would customers either have to pay for a TV service they cannot receive or would they have to pay VM's contract break charges if they do not pay for VM's internet service to enable them to continue to receive VM's TV service?

Can't say I know the answer either but would imagine that VM would either a) replace your Tivo with another (second-hand) Tivo or b) allow you to leave without penalty as suggested by Ernie_C. If you are actually in a contract period then that cuts both ways and VM would have to supply the service IMO or allow you to leave.

Similar issue has cropped up WRT to previous TV and phone customers (who currently have no VM hub) being moved to the new phone connection via the hub. They are presently being offered a hub with no broadband function, just phone only.

In some past topics regarding the phone switchover (where there was some VM 'confusion' about TV/phone customers being incorrectly told they had to take out broadband with the new phone service) they were given the broadband at the same cost as the existing package until the contract was up for renewal IIRC. Perhaps something similar might apply WRT the TV situation.

Presumably, as the legacy services/equipment become less commonplace, VM will start to make using them unattractive by virtue of price increases and package changes to move customers onto newer packages/equipment.

As with most things to do with VM, your outcome might depend on a whole bunch of VM randomness plus how hard you are prepared to fight/negotiate for the thing(s) you want VM to do.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Rillington, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community. 

This is a very interesting question but hopefully I can help. 

We would have to review each case individually as there are a few scenarios that could happen such as a customer may be out of contract for either ourselves of the other provider and could potentially take up a dual service with either one. 

If a contract still applied on both services we would need to take this into consideration especially as the fact you are unable to have a replacement TiVo box is a business decision and not one made by yourself. 

We would review the situation with our discretion and work with you to find the best possible solution at the time so if you do find yourself in the scenario, please reach out to us here and we will be happy to help. 

Thank you, 

Nat

Thank you for the replies.

Taking up a dual service - ie paying for broadband to both my current ISP and VM just to get a TV service from VM  is not going to happen. Why should people pay for an internet service from two ISPs just so that they can get a television service from VM?

As you say, not replacing the box would be part of a wider business decision so surely this means that if a customer is denied a service due to VM making that decision not to replace a broken/faulty Tivo box then said customer would be able to leave without being forced to pay contract break charges.

Regarding a second-hand box, I remember man years ago (in the days of ntl) being given a replacement box which was clearly not new so one would have thought they would do this in this situation as fewer Tivo boxes are needed due to existing customers moving to newer boxes so they will have a ready supply of spare boxes for the remaining TV-only customers.

I think I should call VM at some point to find out what the situation is and get something from the company in writing but if it is the case that VM do not replace broken Tivo boxes, even with reconditioned ones, then I will leave VM at the end of the current contract.

@Rillington wrote:

Thank you for the replies.

<snip>

I think I should call VM at some point to find out what the situation is and get something from the company in writing but if it is the case that VM do not replace broken Tivo boxes, even with reconditioned ones, then I will leave VM at the end of the current contract.

Are you actually in the situation of having a not-working Tivo, Rillington, or just concerned about what might happen under such circumstances?

I think your query is actually covered in the standard T&Cs (look up the particular version which covers your contract period)

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/documents/legal/eecc/Terms%20and%20Condit...

Section F part 2

F. Looking after the Network and Equipment

2. We may upgrade or update the network, equipment and the services from time to time. If we believe an update is likely to materially disadvantage you, we will notify you in accordance with paragraph N10 and you may have a right to cancel your agreement.

Hi Rillington, thanks for getting back to us.

I would like to take a closer look on your behalf and offer specific clarification for you.  I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Thank you for your replies Goslow and Lee.

It's the latter - I'm just concerned about what might happen under such circumstances if this rumour is indeed true and I think it would be beneficial for all TV-only customers who use this forum to know about this should it be true, and what their situation is.

And if a TV-only customer was forced to take out, and pay additional money for, VM's broadband service due to a faulty/broken Tivo box just continue to receive TV services then surely this would be materially disadvantageous to any TV-only customer who finds themself in this position and therefore that customer should be able to leave without penalty.

Lee, if you are able to find out about this, and add a reply to this discussion topic, it would be of benefit to all TV-only users who use this forum so thank you in advance for anything you can find out.

Hi @Rillington, thanks for getting back to us.

Did you receive my private message?  I am more than happy to take a look into this for you.

Regards

Lee_R

Lee, if you could look into this for us then that would be good.

TV-only customers need to know if the rumour is true that VM will no longer replace faulty/broken tivo boxes and force TV-only to get VM's internet service to be able to receive television from VM as to my mind, forcing TV-only customers to pay for an additional service when their set-top box goes wrong in order to be able to continue to access their VM television service would be materially detrimental to them, especially as those customers will get broadband services from other ISPs, and would likely be in a contract with those ISPs.