Menu
howler
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I want to finish with virgin media and start with John Lewis Broadband

My payment goes up to 26th Jan 2019 and I'm due to pay 28th Jan but I want to finish with Virgin because they are too expensive.

I'm paying £46 a month and John Lewis are £20 a month.

How do I cancel Virgin?

It seems to be very difficult.

I've stopped my direct debit but what else do I need to do?

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: I want to finish with virgin media and start with John Lewis Broadband

First of all don't stop the direct debit yet, as all monies owing need to be paid before you leave otherwise any monies owing would go against your credit file making signing up with a new provider difficult.

You will need to phone retentions to terminate the contract (30 days notice) citing the price rise as your reason for leaving, which would allow you to leave without EDFs.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Stopping your DD while still a customer is not a good idea - it simply means you fail to pay your bill and become a debtor.

Phone up, taking the ‘thinking of leaving’ options and give your 30 days notice to cancel.

Without a DD, please pay all future bills on time and in full by other means.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Stopping your direct debit before you've finished with the cancellation is a bad idea and may complicate matters.

You'll need to call the support number and choose the leaving option, you have to give Virgin 30 days notice of cancellation so you'll be paying for that period. If you're still in your contract period you'd also need to pay early termination fees in order to end the contract prematurely.
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@DreamOfCheese wrote:
Stopping your direct debit before you've finished with the cancellation is a bad idea and may complicate matters.

You'll need to call the support number and choose the leaving option, you have to give Virgin 30 days notice of cancellation so you'll be paying for that period. If you're still in your contract period you'd also need to pay early termination fees in order to end the contract prematurely.

Not if you cancel within 30days of notification of a price increase. N6 VM T & Cs,

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C wrote:

Stopping your DD while still a customer is not a good idea - it simply means you fail to pay your bill and become a debtor.

Phone up, taking the ‘thinking of leaving’ options and give your 30 days notice to cancel.

Without a DD, please pay all future bills on time and in full by other means.

As Ernie says - and don't forget the extra £5 they will put on top for not paying by DD

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

@DreamOfCheese wrote:

Not if you cancel within 30days of notification of a price increase. N6 VM T & Cs,

Price hike Jan 30th sounds more like a discount end than a price rise

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
howler
Tuning in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

i'm outside of contract period.

on the phone now trying to get through to them -  27 minutes waiting so far.     Terrible customer service.

0 Kudos
howler
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

been on phone 30 minutes trying to cancel

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

'Price hike Jan 30th sounds more like a discount end than a price rise'

of course. time and again we see on here customers saying there are 'constant price prises'. of course that is nonsense.

an individual's bill will change for the worse if a service is added, a film/ppv event is bought, the once yearly increase is applied or one/part/all of several loyalty discounts end. if bills are going up not for those reasons then any 'constant price rises' is down to a mess up and a refund would be due.

0 Kudos