cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been overcharged, but their customer support won't help

Bukoa
Joining in

In summary, I've been overcharged for months, and Virgin Media's call-centre advisors have been batting me around, either by lying to me or telling me the problem doesn't exist. I am tired of this treatment (eg. I was told someone from the accounts department would call me yesterday, and send an email, but I've had neither) and just want my money back. At this point I'm tempted to simply cancel the direct debit payment and have them chase me for money (maybe that way I'll actually get to talk to someone from their accounts department).

So, back In July 2019 I signed a new contract with Virgin Media, with fixed prices for certain dates due to the deals I was given (up to July 2020).

In October, they raised the prices, even though my contract says the bills are fixed (and their website explains that any price rises will not be applied until after any deals expire).

I phoned their help services multiple times, but it wasn't until December 2019 that I managed to get through to someone who would actually be able to help (the rest told me a variety of lies to get me to end the call as quickly as possible). This chap refunded me the overcharge for the past few months and reset my bill to the correct amount. The December bill came out correctly, and I thought the matter resolved.

In March 2020 I'm looking over my various bills, and spot that the Virgin Media bill had erroneously increased again in January. I call them repeatedly over the new few months, multiple advisors explaining the cost increase is correct (refusing to acknowledge my contract explicitly states fixed prices, and that their own website explains any price increases do not apply until after deals end, even going so far as to say the December chap was wrong to refund me) and that there is nothing to fix.

Until I reach a pleasant lady in June 2020 who reads through the contract clauses with me, and comes to the conclusion that I have been overcharged, and so explains how she will open a ticket with the accounts team to resolve the matter. She explains that there is no external contact number for the accounts department, so I will have to wait up to 28 days for them to contact me.

20 days pass, and I'm having progressively worse connectivity problems, so I call up for aid on that front, and figure I may as well also ask if there has been any progress with the accounts team. The advisor explains that the accounts team emailed and called me on 16th June, but because I hadn't responded they had closed the ticket. I checked my phone (no missed calls on the 16th June) and my emails (no emails from Virgin Media accounts team, but plenty of advertising junk, etc. so they must have the correct address). After talking further with the advisor, she explained that she'd arranged with a member of the accounts team to resend the email, and to call me the next day.

That was on Wednesday 1st July. Yesterday I received no call, and no email . So, yet another lie from their call-centre advisors. And I don't know if a ticket with the accounts team is even open.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Without getting in to the rights and wrongs, you should at no point terminate the direct debit.  That will be treated as a default on a credit agreement, and your credit history file will show that to all future lenders and service providers (and even employers) for the next six years.  And VM will terminate your service, and you'll still be no nearer clearing this up and getting any refund that is due.

Hopefully the forum staff can investigate and get this resolved quickly; If not you'll need to search, read and follow Virgin Media's Consumer Complaints Code of Practice, and I suggest submitting a complaint in writing, by registered post, and detailing that you are to be contacted only by letter.  Also state that if this is not promptly resolved then you will escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS at the earliest opportunity.  Details for CISAS are in the code of practice, and normally you have to allow VM eight weeks to sort out a complaint before CISAS can consider it.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Without getting in to the rights and wrongs, you should at no point terminate the direct debit.  That will be treated as a default on a credit agreement, and your credit history file will show that to all future lenders and service providers (and even employers) for the next six years.  And VM will terminate your service, and you'll still be no nearer clearing this up and getting any refund that is due.

Hopefully the forum staff can investigate and get this resolved quickly; If not you'll need to search, read and follow Virgin Media's Consumer Complaints Code of Practice, and I suggest submitting a complaint in writing, by registered post, and detailing that you are to be contacted only by letter.  Also state that if this is not promptly resolved then you will escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS at the earliest opportunity.  Details for CISAS are in the code of practice, and normally you have to allow VM eight weeks to sort out a complaint before CISAS can consider it.

Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bukoa,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear there's been an issue with the billing on your account, and some confusion around the raised complaint.

I've popped you over a private message so I can give you a little more information regarding it. (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Thanks to Alex, the overcharge issue has been resolved. If only I'd posted here sooner...

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Bukoa,

nice to hear a success story. Any other issues pop back and use the forums, the Staff  and the rest of the community are pretty good ( plus it may save phone calls and horrible repetitive music)

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Alex, sorry to hijack your reply here, but I'm absolutely desperate to get some kind of contact with ANYONE from Virgin with regards to my billing. I have Virgin M200 broadband with the talk weekends phone package (no additional phone services, no TV pack) that I'm currently being charged £67.80 (previously £64.30) for. I have tried reporting this issue countless times using the Virgin complaints webform with absolutely no response from anyone at Virgin. I have been a Virgin customer for over 15 years but, due to this ongoing issue, I'm trying to decide whether the extra speed Virgin provides is really worth putting up with their non-existent 'customer service'

When I made my complaints I requested to be contacted via email as I suffer from chronic anxiety which makes using the phone very difficult (I only keep the phoneline in case of emergencies) but have never had any response. Short of switching to another provider I just don't know what else I can do, but then I'd still have to try to get the money I've been overcharged using the same options I'm limited to now. Apologies again for jumping into this thread.

Hello annoyed1000

Sorry to hear of the problems faced getting in touch with the team in regards to your account and complaints, we understand the frustration during this busy period but all of our teams are working hard to get to all customers as quickly as possible.

Having read through your post and the £3.50 difference between the two prices appears to relate to our recent price increase. Can you confirm if this is the overcharge query? If so, we have contacted all customers included in the recent price increase via email and letter.

Apologies if these weren't received.

Rob

Hi Robert, I understand that the £67.80 is due to the recent price increase. My issue is that, before the increase, I have been paying £64.30/month for my M200 broadband with the basic talk weekends phone package. Virgin is currently quoting £57.00/month for this package (after the discounted period) 

Broadband Deals | Broadband & Phone Packages | Virgin Media

I have been paying £64.30 for this package since 10th September 2019. I don't have any Virgin TV package, I only have the basic talk weekends phone package, with no additional services, and I use paperless billing. 

How jce 2 see my post removed  for no reason

Pathetic

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us @annoyed1000

You would need to re-negotiate your contract price with our retentions team.  I suspect that you have been a customer of our for a number of years and therefor the contracted prices will have been different from the ones when you joined us. 

You are able to get hold of the retentions team on 0345 454 1111 options 1-4-5.

Kind regards,

Zak_M