cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm out of contract and can't cancel my broadband, how can I sort this?

Terryvenables
Settling in

Hi,

I have contacted Virgin 9 times in the last 7 days and not a single person has acted appropriately.

Agents range from saying they will cancel my contract before putting me on hold and hanging up, cold transferring me to another person to refusing to cancel my account without me moving home with them first. 

The last 3 times I have called I was waiting for 45mins (around 15:00) for someone to then hang up on me again. 

I'm at a loss for what to do and I can't deal with the stress, my anxiety is getting out of control with this. Please can someone help me 😞 

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Apparently this is business as usual for VM now.  There are things you can do, though.

After reading Ofcom's rules, specifically General Condition C1. Paragraphs 1.43, through to 1.47 I agree this is a flagrant breach of Ofcom's rules. However I expect Ofcom to do nothing here anyway. I've has agents advise they will cancel my services, so regardless to the disconnections and general call avoidance, I expect that to be honoured. Perhaps I should just cancel my direct debit and put all this in writing to them. 

thanks for the help

In case anyone comes across this I just want to point out the latest thing cancelations will do is pass me to the moving home team. Apparently if you are moving home within the next 60 days then they will not cancel your account and you must provide a new address. The moving home team then wont cancel and you get stuck in a loop. Better to just say your moving to another provider. 

Eeek!  Do not cancel the direct debit - VM won't contact you, won't react, won't notice at any human level, but their automated systems certainly will, and they will mark your credit history with a default (a stained credit history lingers for six years and can affect loans, credit cards, mortgages, energy supply, telecoms, car plans, even employment checks my throw up the default).  And VM will add late payment charges and farm it out to a debt collection outfit who will come knocking.  Even if you're within your rights to cancel, if VM have a refused direct debit then it'll create a mess that you have additional effort to make them sort out. 

VM is a bureaucracy, and you therefore fight bureaucratic fire with bureaucratic fire.  It's worth notifying Ofcom even though they won't act directly, but your best weapon regarding your own case is CISAS. 

oh gosh that's horrible. Any other out of contract service and it would just stop and you would expect to pay to get it back or whatever. I suppose they can spin the whole 'its a key service' yarn to avoid that. This is probably true to all ISPs not just Virgin. 

I'm giving it one last go in hope someone can help me. Fingers crossed. 

Hi @Terryvenables

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear of this experience and I'll PM you now to discuss the complaint

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

@Terryvenables please do give @John_GS every opportunity to see if he can’t sort this mess out, as a general rule, the forum team here are a beacon of light in the Stygian gloom that passes for customer services at VM.

However, even if it is sorted amicably, please do make a complaint to OFCOM using the link that @Andrew-G provided earlier, even if this gets fixed to your satisfaction, you really shouldn’t have to jump through so many hoops and there are probably plenty of others finding themselves in a similar situation, not knowing that this forum exists and can help.

If nothing else, it really is time that VM’s senior management were given another metaphorical kicking in the unmentionables by the industry regulator. Perhaps a really big fine will concentrate minds?

Although of course it won’t, we’ll have the usual meaningless platitudes about lessons being learnt, and aiming to do better, and we don’t recognise these findings etc. Plus of course, oh and by the way we will be hugely increasing the prices so we can pay the fine plus give appropriate recompense to the senior managers for the stress they have suffered over this unfair incident!

Cynic? Me? Absolutely not!