cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm hearing impaired, Can't make phone calls to change/quit my broadband. Gaming is atrocious.

Ad1975
Tuning in

Firstly sorry for posting on gaming, it appears there isn't an other choice for quitting or getting some help from virgin media to my problem.  So as my title says, i'm hearing impaired, which means i cant phone virgin to cancel my broadband or ultimately find out why when playing multiplayer games, i'm getting constant latency which feels around 500ms but running a trace route from my address to any server appears to show the pings are fine.  

After yet another price increase and the fact i cant even chat to somebody online about my problems via a help chat feature. I've quite frankly had enough. I dont want to jump through hoops to get into contact, i shouldn't have to.  I just humbly ask for an email contact or live chat contact if possible so i can resolve this problem.  Any help would be appreciated. I dont use the sign language service as it seems redundant when im using the internet from an ISP that can very well read and send texts. 

I may sound frustrated because i am.  years of price increases, lack of communication options has lead me to this.  Can somebody please help and hopefully let me know how i can make contact with virgin via text/email

thanks for any help. 

10 REPLIES 10

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Ad1975,

A warm welcome to our Community forums and thank you for posting.

I am sorry to hear that you are thinking of leaving us. Is there anything I can do to help change your mind? I would love to help you here.

I understand you are having issues with the service when gaming- that's not ideal. Is this on a wireless or wired connection? 

In regards to price increase, changing prices is never an easy decision, which is why, unlike other providers, this is our first cable price change in 18 months. Over the last year our customers have been using their services more than ever, and data use on our network has increased by up to 95%. We need to continue investing in our network to meet this demand and ensure our broadband service continues to deliver the fastest widely-available speeds in the UK. We’re investing more than £1bn in our network – helping to improve performance and reliability for our customers. At the same time, we have supported our customers with a range of upgrades and new services at no extra cost. Whether that’s giving customers a free speed boost, upgrading their equipment or providing new content and channels, we’re committed to giving our customers more.  

Hope to hear from you soon 🙂

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

HI Ayisha, 

Thanks for getting back to me. To answer your question. I'm on a wired connection using your Super hub 3 modem/router.  Also sorry if my 1st post sounded negative. It's just frustrating every time I want to tackle this problem, I'm left with no means of communication to resolve it. So I've lived with this problem for the past 3 - 4 years now. Things I've done to try and remedy the issue my end first. 

I bought a new PC which confirmed that the mystery latency problem wasn't my hardware at fault. This only leads to the modem and cabling going out of the building and however many hops on your network to varying servers around the world. The problem as mentioned is the mystery surrounding the latency especially when playing certain games that have a stream of packets updating the servers and the clients frequently ( around 120 packets per second ). In this case a first person shooter. Some games you would never notice the latency at all. But playing a first person shooter online, you will.  

So thats my issue.  Running a trace route shows average pings are normal based on distances to servers. But theres latency incurred.  How I know this is because the way the other clients on the network appear and move around in game. Many competitive online games use some kind of anti lag algorithms to counter data packet loss that never reached the games server in time and send updated packet back which will cause synchronisation problems from what you see on your screen.  Small telling signs of latency / lag are missing projectiles fired from other clients on the network etc. Dying when you've run around the corner of wall where nobody can hit you.  

This is consistently bad and i've tried various other gaming servers to make sure that the problem wasn't from 1 server in particular. Sorry for the wall of text but thats as best as i can describe my issues.  Everything else appears fine in regards to web browsing, download and upload speeds are all good. But this latency in online gaming especially where reactions are key to winning is awful. 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Ad1975,

Thank you for the details. I am so sorry you are experiencing latency when playing first person shooters, I understand how frustrating this must be for you - especially when your services are working fine in regard to web browsing and downloading.

In response to your previous post, to cancel your contract without calling, you can text 'Cancel my Contract' to 0753 305 1809 or you can write to us to give your 30 days notice at Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG.

Hope this helps,

Serena

Sorry for the late reply.  I'm still suffering with this latency issue. Is the only way around this, is to get another ISP ? The cable and the box inside the property was set up before i moved here and was hanging off the wall without any safety covering. The cable itself isn't in very good condition either. Could this be the problem?  As mentioned things appear fine but there's at least a 250ms delay in what's drawn on my screen from data sent from remote servers. How do i go about getting an engineer to come and inspect the cabling etc in my property?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards 

Adam

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Ad1975, thanks for getting in touch - sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your connection. 

Checking things from here I can see that there are some stability issues, given what you have said about the cabling as well I think you're correct that this will require the attention of an engineer.

I have booked you in with the next available appointment.  You will find confirmation via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and can reschedule from there if needed.

Please let us know how you get on.

Tom

Thanks a lot Tom for the help regarding getting an engineer out. The date is fine and i look forward to hopefully remedying this problem once and for all. 

Thanks again 

Adam

Ad1975
Tuning in

Hi, 

Just to update regards to my internet troubles. I'd like to thank the engineer for coming out and doing such a good job.  Professional and certainly made a good image representing Virgin media. I'm grateful for the new router which has seemed to fix the problems I had. So thanks a lot guys and girls i appreciate the effort. 

Cheers 

Adam

Sasha_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That's great to hear @Ad1975

Thanks so much for letting us know and so glad to hear that this has been sorted for you. 

If you do have any further issues please do let me know and I am more than happy to help you. 

Have a fab day 🙂 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Sorry to necro an old thread but it's impossible to get in contact with VM any other way.  After a while trying to play online games I still had lag, I thought at first things were ok. But it never was quite right. Dynamic latency is best i can describe it. I gave up playing online games for a year or so and then tried again only to find this weird latency still. I think it's time to try another ISP and finally see if that remedies the problem.

So i tried to cancel my subscription. but sadly your website makes it pretty impossible to cancel. But of course you can upgrade and pay more without jumping through hoops. I really do think it lets VM down when such tactics are used. So ultimately I want to cancel my subscription. As mentioned in my previous posts I'm hearing impaired. I can't phone you. I don't want to write silly letters. Your chat / help automated bot wants me to use WhatsApp which is owned by Darth Zuckerberg Facebook. Sorry no. I will not use any services / harvesters from such an evil company. 

So back to my request. Please can you tell me how to email contact or via here to cancel my subscription. I don't own a phone. I use the internet as a life-line to communicate with. I hope that i will still have some connection time left to transition from one ISP to another.  I look forward to any help you can give on this matter. 

Thanks Adam