cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm, having trouble downgrading my package

BonnieT120
Tuning in

I have just retired and I need to cut back on my outgoing expense's.

I want to keep my broadband and land line and get shot of the TV part of the package. So I would save around £60 a month.

I have attempted to do this through all the customer service numbers, including 150 without success. They do not seem to comprehend the term "Downgrade" as all they offer are more packages including TV and some were more expensive than my current package. On one occasion, I thought something positive was about to happen, When I was put through to a member of staff who could help...what a joke. I was offered yet another package I did not want.

My next step, was to write. The letter was sent two weeks ago to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Nottingham.

As of yet, no reply.

What do I do now? If I am unable to get this sorted I'll just have to cancel. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BonnieT120 

You should be able to downgrade your package but it sometimes works out cheaper by keeping all three components.

Have a look at this page  https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-and-phone 

The headline pricing shown there are for new customers, but look at the out of contract price for the packages.

Broadband + Phone M50 Fibre Broadband & Talk Weekends New customer price £28 a month. Out of contract price £46 per month

Broadband + Phone M100 Fibre Broadband & Talk Weekends New customer price £34 a month. Out of contract price £51 per month

You should be able to chose either of those options and negotiate a price in between the new customer price and out of contract price.

Also if you can, get some figures for broadband and landline from other suppliers such as BT and Sky and tell the agent I can go to xyz and pay £x amount can you match that?

Speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) by dialling 150 options 1,1,4 and 4. It's best to call at 8am when lines first open to avoid call queues

Your call may be picked up first by a front line agent. If this happens be firm and say you want transferring to Retentions.

Retentions are generally based in the UK and do far more than cancellations, their job is to keep your business even if it means a downgrade in package and less money for VM. Granted more money is better for them, but keeping you as a customer is the most important part of their job and they should be able downgrade your package.

They have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

If you aren't happy with what is offered then say no and call back again as offers change all the time. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @BonnieT120 

You should be able to downgrade your package but it sometimes works out cheaper by keeping all three components.

Have a look at this page  https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-and-phone 

The headline pricing shown there are for new customers, but look at the out of contract price for the packages.

Broadband + Phone M50 Fibre Broadband & Talk Weekends New customer price £28 a month. Out of contract price £46 per month

Broadband + Phone M100 Fibre Broadband & Talk Weekends New customer price £34 a month. Out of contract price £51 per month

You should be able to chose either of those options and negotiate a price in between the new customer price and out of contract price.

Also if you can, get some figures for broadband and landline from other suppliers such as BT and Sky and tell the agent I can go to xyz and pay £x amount can you match that?

Speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) by dialling 150 options 1,1,4 and 4. It's best to call at 8am when lines first open to avoid call queues

Your call may be picked up first by a front line agent. If this happens be firm and say you want transferring to Retentions.

Retentions are generally based in the UK and do far more than cancellations, their job is to keep your business even if it means a downgrade in package and less money for VM. Granted more money is better for them, but keeping you as a customer is the most important part of their job and they should be able downgrade your package.

They have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents.

If you aren't happy with what is offered then say no and call back again as offers change all the time. 

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @BonnieT120

I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened and thank you so much for your post.

Have you been able to take a look at the links provided by @newapollo at all? Has this helped?

Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a try on Monday. 

newapollo

I'd just like to say that your advice was spot on. I followed your suggestions and I have now got a new agreement, keeping my M200 broadband and landline for £41. 😁

thank you.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @BonnieT120 

Thanks for the update.

That's brilliant news, and only £1 a month more than the new customer price - well done 😀

Stay safe and take care.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Thanks for sharing your story.

I called to try to reduce my package (I too needed to reduce my spend), and all I was offered was a package that costed more than what I'm paying now.  The agent suggested that the Retentions team might be able to offer different packages, but when he tried to transfer me, I was cut off!  That call took almost an hour, and I couldn't face calling back.

Doing some shopping around and I'm struggling to find any combination of suppliers that could cost as much as what Virgin Media are proposing.  There are lots of good prices and lots of discounts available to new customers.

It's a shame, I've been a cable customer for over 20 years and the products are excellent, but it looks like I'll be calling soon to cancel.

Hopefully others are having better experiences.

Hi @Timperley,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear the team were not able to offer you a deal that was suitable. Unfortunately, we are unable to assist with any package changes via the Forums but we do have a variety of deals to suit individual needs and budget.

It would be best reaching out to Retentions on 0345 454 1111 or 150 from a Virgin landline and they'll discuss things in full.

Keep us posted. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs