cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have decided to go to arbitration

JaneSe
Joining in

Hello Virgin Media

I have spoken to you on the phone, I have emailed, I have posted on your Facebook page, and all to no avail.

It is apparently impossible to explain exit charges by email, not possible to send a final letter, either by email or to a physical address, at least not to me, and when I finally agree a time for a telephone appointment, that is ignored.  

I will go to arbitration, it can drag on for as long as you like, but I am not paying a penny without an explanation of what those charges cover.  I am not prepared to go into long and lengthy discussions on a public forum, and clearly the telephone and email system is beyond Virgin's capabilities.  I have looked up CISAS, and will go about making my case to them.

In the past I have been happy to recommend Virgin to family and friends, and will not be able to do so in future.  Virgin have no one but themselves to blame.

Dissatiedly Yours

Jane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I understand E.D.F. it is either your remaining months or £240 whichever is less.

I am aware other providers will discount savings they make by not providing the service, such as premium channels, VAT and so on.... VM do not pass these savings on.

Ultimately E.D.F. is a detterent and somewhat of a punishment.

If you make a minor package change VM will tie you into a new contract and full E.D.F. applies. 

Even if the changes are so minimal and done remotely such as new channels or speed increases.

It's all designed to put you off leaving.

Good luck with arbitration.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JaneSe wrote:

I will go to arbitration, it can drag on for as long as you like, but I am not paying a penny without an explanation of what those charges cover.  I am not prepared to go into long and lengthy discussions on a public forum, and clearly the telephone and email system is beyond Virgin's capabilities.  I have looked up CISAS, and will go about making my case to them.

If you have a deadlock letter from VM's complaints process, or have a complaint that's unresolved after 8 weeks, then you're quite entitled to use CISAS.

If neither of these apply, then you will need to use VM's complaints process first. https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas/complainnow/ confirms this.

In any case, giving VM forum staff the chance to rectify whatever the issue is, will be a lot quicker and less hassle for all concerned.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Laurie_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi JaneSe,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch, and a very warm welcome to the Community Forum. I am sorry that you've had so many issues with our services, this is hugely disappointing to hear, and is far from the kind of service that we want to provide.

I'd be more than happy to look into this issue for you. Could you please explain a little bit more about the problems that you're having so that I can advise further? Am I correct in saying that you're looking for an explanation of your Early Disconnection Fees?

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

Anonymous
Not applicable

As I understand E.D.F. it is either your remaining months or £240 whichever is less.

I am aware other providers will discount savings they make by not providing the service, such as premium channels, VAT and so on.... VM do not pass these savings on.

Ultimately E.D.F. is a detterent and somewhat of a punishment.

If you make a minor package change VM will tie you into a new contract and full E.D.F. applies. 

Even if the changes are so minimal and done remotely such as new channels or speed increases.

It's all designed to put you off leaving.

Good luck with arbitration.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your understanding of EDF is largely correct, but the detail doesn't completely follow - the exact figures are listed on this page 

In very many cases, the reason for package changes triggering a new minimum term is the inclusion of promotional discounts.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Hello

Thank you for your input.  Virgin Media have been given ample opportunity to make a sensible response to my repeated request for transparency, by phone and by email.  They frequently contradict themselves, refuse to put anything meaningful in writing, and in all honesty, have made no real effort to  meet me half way.  Expecting me to pay nearly £300 with no explanation is beyond unreasonable.  I have run my own business, and would never present a bill for a fraction of that amount without being prepared to give details justifying the charges.  Viring Media have not been open or honest.  Why should I repeatedly have to justify my request, just to be given joke answers?

I fully intend to go to arbitration.

JaneSe

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

You can find all information on the virgimedia website at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

Regards Mike

Hello Laurie

I am quite clear about this, despite repeated requests by email and phone no sensible answer from Virgin Media has been forthcoming.  I have been sent vague statements to justify the disconnection charge, but they lack any real clarity, and do not come over as a genuine attempt at resolution.  Asking me to pay £300 with no explanation is unreasonable.  Expecting me to pay charges over the phone, which include a discount is also unreasonable, without an auditable trail.  

As stated before, I have run my own business, and would always provide a clear explanation of all my charges.  I will pay what is reasonable and fair, but not without a sensible explanation.  This is called good business practise and it is about time Virgin Media did this.  I will not respond anymore on a public forum, and if you are serious about finalising the whole sorry affair, kindly email me directly.  Again, this is a perfectly reasonable request.

Thank you

JaneSe

Thanks.  I am not impressed with the behaviour of Virgin Media over the whole sorry affair.  

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello
Due to the nature of your query

I have escalated to the VM forum team, one of the VM staff will be along in this thread to have a look at it for you.

Regards Mike