Menu
admglrh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't want to phone Virgin

I pay FAR TOO MUCH money to Virgin and have for a very long time. I want to change this but can't find a contact option that works for me. The chat bot is hopeless and just tells me to call and I specifically DO NOT want to talk to anyone on the phone. I'm paying >£120 per month and yet the equivalent package for a new customer is apparently ~£90. I want to pay even less (which would seem only fair, given how much profit they've made from me over the years, without having to spend any of their huge marketing budget in winning my business or winning it back).

So: how do I make choices about, or changes in, my service without having to speak to a Virgin salesperson?

0 Kudos
Cmrobertson33
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: I don't want to phone Virgin

Hi

From my experience, to reduce your bill you have to phone, then if you are not happy go to cancel. From there the retention's team can offer better deals. Either way, picking up the phone is the way.

Regards

CM
0 Kudos
wez
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah that's not how it works. A new customer deal is just that for new customers, for a limited time and then they pay the same as you.

Sometimes you can get a better deal than the standard deal via retentions, but that won't be the same as a new customer deal and is very unlikely to be better.

0 Kudos
admglrh
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What I really want to do is to downgrade my package. Why should I have to talk to someone to do that? (I imagine so they’ll have the opportunity to talk me out of it.)

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Talking to someone may get you a cheaper downgrade also, maybe a few pound a month off your bill when you do so, all for a small talk with a retentions agent, they are there to help keep you as a customer to a degree of fairness of course.

If you could do it online all you would get is the standard going rate for those services not the new rates new customers get either, and no loyalty discount etc.

Majide!
0 Kudos
admglrh
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

An even stronger argument for their making the option available, then. I get to make the choice and they don’t lose out. There’s something deeply questionable underpinning Virgin’s approach to customer service, as illustrated by the very fact of this forum, not as an option but as the only way to seek support without speaking to their sales force. What happens if I am *unable* to use the phone?

0 Kudos
ftw59
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I agree with you completely.

I've just spent over half an hour on hold to eventually get put through to someone whose accent was so strong I could only understand one word in every twenty.

After $deity knows how long attempting to speak to this person to cancel my account, (from what I could understand) he was most insistant that I couldn't get a better deal elsewhere (he's wrong, I can get a better deal pretty much anywhere else) he finally gave up and told me he couldn't cancel my account and that he would transfer me to someone who could.  At that point I get an automated voice telling me that the call had ended and "goodbye"!!!!

On attempting to call back, I'm now told that the queues are so log that they can't answer the phone and I should call back tomorrow!

Well guess what VirginMedia?  I've already given my notice to leave in this call.  Whether your employee can action it or not is really not my problem.  I've been with you since the Yorkshire Cable days, and after twenty odd years, your service is appallingly bad, and service costs are plain ridiculous.  I've cancelled my direct debit with my bank, so the ball is now in your court.

admglrh
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You get that existing customers subsidise the deals for new customers, right? That winning new customers is hugely expensive and the marketing budget is enabled by the majority of customers who don’t care to chop and change between suppliers? That the discounts for new customers are driven by the metrics that Virgin chooses for their business development teams? Where growth is as or more important important than profit? All their profit comes from us old lags; all the benefits go to the newcomers. This is an invidious practice and I’m happy to see retailers are beginning to turn their backs on it. Perhaps we can all look forwad to fairer deals for *all* customers?

DABhand
Super solver
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@admglrh wrote:

An even stronger argument for their making the option available, then. I get to make the choice and they don’t lose out. There’s something deeply questionable underpinning Virgin’s approach to customer service, as illustrated by the very fact of this forum, not as an option but as the only way to seek support without speaking to their sales force. What happens if I am *unable* to use the phone?

Not feasible, who would get the discounts? each case is different, depending on people's situation, problems, package size and so on.

Majide!
0 Kudos