Menu
chrisrogan
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to raise a complaint if it was refused?

I tried to downgrade my package last week.  After speaking to five different people on one call with varying degrees of English and line quality.  I was unable to remove everything and just leave broadband without signing up to a 12 month package.  I pointed out that on the web there was a 30 day rolling contract and I wanted that.  I was refused as that was for new customers only.  I said the costs of winning me back etc, seem to outweigh the benefits for VM - and I'd like a complaint raised so that it's tracking this issue so maybe the powers that be will change the policy in the future. 

The operator refused to raise the complaint, which I think is self-selection of what to raise.  Which I believe a regulated industry shouldn't be doing and could be illegal.  I've raised this matter with OFCOM and CISAS - although with them they want a complaint to be raised... which obviously the operator refused to do and VM's website says to call - which I'm not sure I could stand the trauma again.  I am happy to leave or happy to stay on the terms of removing items from my package. 

What I am most concerned about is that VM could be breaking the law by allowing operators to self-select which complaints they raise.  This really is wrong.  Luckily I have the call recordings. 

Looking for quick and easy way of forwarding my email to OFCOM onto VM - but there seems to be no route.  

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How to raise a complaint if it was refused?

There is no direct email - just this forum.  You could print the email out and send it as an enclosure with a covering letter (the old fashioned way).

It can take mods a while to get round to these posts too.  If you follow this link, https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Complaints-department/m-p/3304612  there's a postal address you can send it to. You could just paste most of your post as the covering letter and also mention that you have posted it on here.

I can also explain why they don't have a direct email: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=... this link alone yields 10,000 results.  It would take ages to go through them all.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Couple things.

The rolling day contracts are for new customers, they are for ones who can’t commit to the year contracts. Downgrading to them doesn’t work. If you want to change your package it will incur a new minimum term contract.

Regarding the call recording, did you advise the operator you were recording the call? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
chrisrogan
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The point isn't the packages, they're happy for me to leave and rejoin if necessary - their costs for doing that are higher than mine.  So, so be it.  I wouldn't run a business like that, but they seem okay with it. 

The point is, their operator made a judgement call whether or not to raise a complaint based on his own assessment on whether it could be resolved.  It's matterless whether he could have resolved it or not - in a regulated industry like telecommunications, water, gas, electricity, there are enforced legal processes from their regulator and I believe they chose not to follow them.  This roles onto public stats like complaints raised and customer satisfaction.  Essentially, by refusing to raise a complaint, they're massaging figures that are reported about them in the industry. 

I believe I advised one of the five people I spoke to on that call that I was taking my own recordings, which was after I got the general message that they were recording me.  However, I believe the law is on the side of the consumer on this one and it doesn't matter.  The DPA at the moment (before it changes to GDPR) covers protection of 'individuals' not companies.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

..but do you actually have a complaint at all?

You asked if Virgin Media can sell you a rolling contract. They said no, only for new customers.

You then said you thought that was a poor business decision and made a suggestion that you thought you would like Virgin Media to change that decision for the benefit of all customers and Virgin Media’s business.

So what is your complaint you want raised? ...or am I missing something?

0 Kudos
chrisrogan
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Depends on your definition of a complaint.  In many regulated industries - banking for example, you tell your bank you're simply 'unhappy' about something it triggers the 'complaint process' you may be in acceptance of the result (which I am in this case) but their is a process of review that is instigated.  This allows VM's own management to track the issue, ensure it's been thoroughly reviewed and dealt with - not by a front line operator but actual management.  

I don't believe the outcome will change in my instance, but it is only proper that the complaints process is triggered and a review is made.  A front line operator should not be able to self-select in a regulated industry when a customer has specifically asked to raise a complaint for review to management - regardless of whether he feels a positive outcome for a customer could be achievable.  

0 Kudos
chrisrogan
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Just feeding back that OFCOM agreed with my assessment - a telco isn't allowed to pick and choose whether they should raise a complaint based on their assessment on whether they can resolve it to my satisfaction.  It should have been raised and the operator broke industry rules. 

Cheers for your replies

0 Kudos
Abcdefg1tgaA
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Return equipment send out in error

I have spoken to customer services about 30 times over past 2 months to try and send back a router they sent me AFTER my contract ended...

these seems to be no way on this earth to get a return bag send out by whoever they use..

I have today rejoined virgin media , i can at least be inside the complaints process, to get this resolved...

0 Kudos