Menu
Kcal22
Settling in
Message 61 of 93
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to cancel Virgin Media contract?

haha this is nonsense and they are set to try and blag you to stay and nothing else. I have found that despite spending 30 mis plus on hold, speaking to someone and then being put through to the retention team, that my request was ignored as I was already set on leaving. It’s poor enough practice that in this day and age customers are forced to call to cancel but even worse that your request is dismissed (obviously some unrealistic targets forcing staff to lower themselves to this). Next stop a complaint but judging by the service so far, I guess this will obstructive and lead to nowhere just like the cancellation service 

Vic214
Tuning in
Message 62 of 93
Flag for a moderator

They make it very hard by phone, and won't accept anything through web chat. Cancelling the Direct Debit wont work. They are entitled to draw from the bank, even if you try to cancel DD directly with the bank. 

Simplest way, write a letter to Customer Services Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9ZJ giving them 30 days notice. Registered delivery. They can't argue.

paulgato
Tuning in
Message 63 of 93
Flag for a moderator

I just cancelled - gave my 30 days' notice as per T&Cs.  By phone to the 'retentions' department.  It was tough.  Hard work.  I don't really like the 'hard sell' one is subjected to by Virgin staff.  I have a fairly well developed sales resistance force, but some people are just going to be bullied into staying, and even I find it annoying and stressful.  I don't even think it's good business to bully your existing customers.  If you love them, let them go!  And if you really have a good and competitive offering, they may well return.  But if they have had to fight to leave, they are less likely to come back any time soon.

So anyway, after I said to the guy in 'retentions' that I didn't want to accept their 'very best offer' of reducing my monthly rate to £27, he then said I couldn't cancel anyway because I was on a 12 month contract at £35/month.  This confused and shocked me as I was under the impression I was out of contract and had been on a monthly rolling contract at £35 for some months already.  (The £27 'very best offer' had been made a couple of months earlier and I had already decided to look elsewhere, had found a better offer and had signed up to it.)

That night, I trawled through my own notes and emails, etc. and discovered what had happened.  Someone at Virgin had mistakenly put me on a 12 month contract at £35/month when my account should have reverted to a monthly rolling contract at £35/month.  Anyway, the following day I managed to convince the guys at Virgin of that, and obtained confirmation of my cancellation date (as well as confirmation that I was indeed on a 30-day rolling contract, not a 12 month contract, despite all documentation to the contrary) by the simple expedient of recording the Virgin agent on my mobile phone confirming that information, ...with his full knowledge and permission of course.  (They apparently are not allowed to send emails out to confirm these things.)

So, all was good in the end I guess, although it was a bit stressful.

But the bizarre thing (well, perhaps not?) is that this morning I got a call from a very nice chap in the 'loyalty department' making me a VERY much better offer than their previous 'very best offer' to stay with Virgin.  I mean £10/month better!  It worked out at just under £17/month for the 12 months.

It turns out it is too late to take advantage of that offer, as I am already just outside the 14-day cooling off period on the new contract.  Now if Virgin had made that 'better than their very best offer' a bit earlier, I might have remained with them.  The actual service is not bad after all.  Nothing is 100% reliable, but I'd say the Virgin network has been about 99% reliable over the years.  That does mean about 3 or 4 days outage per year, which CAN be annoying, but these days one can use a mobile phone to 'tether' for a few days, so it's not too bad.

r99
Tuning in
Message 64 of 93
Flag for a moderator

I want to downgrade my contract after receiving a letter informing me of a price increase. I innocently and naively called the Virgin 150 contact number and after a 20 minute wait got through to an operator using the change / downgrade option only to be told that  as I was not prepared to accept a slightly reduced price as an inducement to stay they could not help me and I needed to talk to a different team.  I asked if this would mean waiting another 20 minutes and he gave me what he called a direct line number 0800 952 2277.  This turned out to be as bad if not worse than the dial 150 route.  I rang numerous times and gave up each time after waiting 35 - 40 minutes.  I now want to cancel my contract completely but there is no effective facility provided by Virgin as the service provider to do this.  

Is it possible to go into a Virgin store and make changes / cancel your contract?

Are Virgin in breach of basic contract law in not providing an effective means of terminating a contract within the conditions of termination stipulated within the contract?  In not providing the means to terminate are Virgin failing to provide the basic facilities of any company doing business (particularly a service provider to individual consumers) ?

It is very easy to get through on the 'phone if you want to join Virgin - no queues there - why can't they just let their customers go when they want to?

paulgato
Tuning in
Message 65 of 93
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm, ...I've not had a huge problem with being left on hold for long periods.

What I recommend is to get through to the 'retentions department' (or whoever you get put through to when you say you want to cancel) and simply give your 30 days notice to cancel the contract.  I think on most mobile phones there is a facility to record calls, so ask if it is OK to record the call (they won't mind a bit, as all their calls are recorded by their employer anyway) and when you get to the part about giving notice to cancel, record yourself saying you are giving notice and them saying they understand, and hopefully giving you a final termination date.  (They told me that they have no facility for sending out confirmation of cancellation, so that recording is my security that the cancellation will not get mysteriously 'lost'.)

If my experience is anything to go by, a few days after you have given notice to cancel, they will call you with a much better offer than they were able to offer you before you had cancelled.  In my case, I didn't bite, because by then I was quite sick of the whole process and just wanted out, but if they had offered that deal earlier I'm sure I would have stayed with Virgin.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 66 of 93
Flag for a moderator

Hello AdeinScotland

Thanks for your post. 

I am sorry to hear that you are thinking of leaving us

I am more than happy to have a look at this for you. 

I have sent you a private message requesting some information. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox

Regards Gareth_L Forums Team 

0 Kudos
ccharles1985
Settling in
Message 67 of 93
Flag for a moderator

Is there any way to cancel without calling?

My bill has gone up and up and i don't have the function to call virgin media and spend a fortune being on hold.

Tried online chat and not only were they unhelpful, they were rude and just told me to call

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 68 of 93
Flag for a moderator

Hi ccharles1985

Many thanks for taking the time to get in touch with us about the offers. I am sorry you were unable to get a deal you wanted when you spoke to our teams via Webchat.

To close your account if this is what you are looking for you can contact the teams either by writing in or via phone.

• Address to write in can be found on that link on page 2, just change the dept name to Retentions.
  • To call in use 150 or 0345 454 1111 option 4 then option 5

Kindest regards.

Karen

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Bartkowalski
Tuning in
Message 69 of 93
Flag for a moderator

I want cancel my service. Here is my contract picture. There is red X at contract period - what this mean? Can i cancel it just by sending 30 days notice here?:

Retentions, Virgin Media
PO Box 333
Matrix Court
Swansea
SA7 9Zcontract.jpg

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 70 of 93
Flag for a moderator

HI Bartkowalski

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with us about the contract options.

The X would mean you have no current contract with us other than your standard 30 days rolling contract that customers fall into once their main contract expires.

If you are looking to cancel and you need to speak to the teams you can do so either by writing in or by calling 150 from a landline that is a Virgin Media one or you can ring 150 from a Virgin Mobile number. Alternatively you can speak to cancellations via 0345 454 1111

Let us know if you need anything further.

Kindest regards.

Kaz

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos