cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make a formal complaint?

meganr0se
Joining in

I have been with Virgin Media as a student for five years now, and haven't had any problems. However, in February the wifi contract for our student house ended. I called up the Virgin Media customer service and explained that, as we were moving out in August, we could not sign another 18 month contract, but we were shocked at the difference in monthly price between the contract and the monthly rolling payment option. I asked if there was any way we could have a reduced price, as we were students and genuinely could not afford to pay for the rolling monthly wifi, and we had been loyal customers for the past four years. The customer service person then told me that we could renew our contract and pay the contracted monthly fees, and then when the time came to move out of our house we could transfer the account (and therefore the contract) into my landlord's name. This was perfect for us, as students, as we were all going to live at home once we were no longer students. As our homes already have wifi installed, we did not need our wifi account. Again, I explained all this to the customer service operator and they assured me that we could transfer the account to our landlord and that would be that.

Fast forward to now, I called up the customer service team, thinking it was going to be a quick and easy phone call, to discuss changing the name and bank details of my account to my landlord's and the customer service person says that their policy has now changed and we can no longer do that. Instead, the account would still be in my name but I could change the bank details. This is not what I had previously discussed, and I definitely do not feel comfortable with my name still being on the account, as it means that any missed payments or problems would be under my name, and not my landlord's. I explained that I really did not trust my landlord (as they have also tried to charge us more money for things out of our control and have tried to rip us off multiple times during our tenancy) and did not want my name on the account with them paying. I said that I had discussed this with the customer service team in February, to which the person said yes, they could see what we had discussed due to the notes on the account, however that was no longer the case now.

We now either have to pay £270 to end the contract early, or pay £29 a month until August 2022 for wifi that we don't need. The way we have been treated is absolutely unacceptable, I feel as though Virgin Media has completely taken advantage of the fact that we are students and we would just have to suck it up and pay no matter what. I feel completely blindsided by the fact that their "policy has changed" when we got no phone call, no e-mail - nothing. We absolutely would NOT have renewed our wifi contract if we could not transfer it into our landlord's name. I do not understand why, if VM are still getting paid, the name of the account matters.

I feel completely screwed over. After being a loyal customer for five years, this is how I am treated. I unfortunately trusted them, but I will absolutely not be using them in the future and I will make sure my family changes broadband and wifi providers as well. I have already spoken to the CEDR about filing a formal complaint, but was wondering if there was a complaints service within Virgin Media as well. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @meganr0se

Thanks for providing the information via Private Message, the fees have been waived and nothing further will be taken from the account after double checking and the disconnection has taken place.

My apologies for any previous inconvenience the situation may of caused.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

lotharmat
Community elder
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/contact-us/complaints/broadband-tv-phone-contact

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person will respond on here in a day or two and see if they can advise on the next steps.

There ought to be recordings of your telephone conversations with VM.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @meganr0se

Thanks for posting on our community forum. 

I'm so sorry to hear you're unhappy and indeed the team are correct as we no longer can process transfer-of-responsibilities. This would need to be a full disconnection and set up in the homeowners name.

I completely understand your frustration and our complaints code of practice can be found here to raise this further.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Seems to me that @meganr0se has either been misled by the sales agent, or VM's process change means they are reneging on a legally binding contract.  Although what was said may have been correct at the time, and VM have since changed their processes to make this impossible, since the customer relied upon the information being correct when entering into a new contract, that information is a legally binding part of the contract, whether written or not.  That's very clear under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, Section 50 of CRA (2015).

I suggest that the forum staff reconsider, because if they can't get this resolved to meganr0se's satisfaction, the obvious route forward is a formal complaint using the form in My Virgin Media or by post.  Complaints are handled with VM's usual prowess, and having seen the responses from complaints in this forum, I expect the customer will be fobbed off, but then it is a simple but slow process to escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, where VM will lose, will end up being forced to compensate the customer, to honour the contractually agreed terms, and have to pay hundreds of pounds in case fees (possibly plus the costs of both customer and CISAS data access requests, which can be high).  

What outcome do VM want here, given that the law is firmly on the customer's side?  My suggestion is that rather than messing around trying to process a transfer of account that your processes no longer pemit, the best thing to do is simply permit the customer to leave without early termination charges.  

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @meganr0se

I'd like to check on some more information around this situation so i'm going to drop you a private message, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @meganr0se

Thanks for providing the information via Private Message, the fees have been waived and nothing further will be taken from the account after double checking and the disconnection has taken place.

My apologies for any previous inconvenience the situation may of caused.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Thank you very much for your help and for confirming this.

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

You're very welcome @meganr0se - have a great day and be sure to contact us if you require any further assistance 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team