cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House flooded. No virgin media at new place. 16 months on contract. Being asked to pay it all

hasman404
Joining in

Two weeks ago there was a flooding due to crazy rains in London and my rented property was badly damaged making it entirely uninhabitable, through no fault of my own. My landlord had to end the tenancy as it was a few months work. 

The new place i have found does not have virgin media. I am being asked to pay almost the full amount for 16 months which is just a ridiculous amount of money. 

If it's not good enough that most of my personal belongings have been damaged, i now have to pay them a few hundred pounds for no reason at all? 

Is there anything i can do here? 

7 REPLIES 7

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You have my sympathies for your current situation.

Unfortunately, in strictly legal terms, you have a service contract with VM for provision of services at an address and by asking to break that contract, you are subject to Early Disconnection Fees as per this page - subject to a cap of £240

You will have to hope a compassionate solution can be found here, because legally you are almost certainly liable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

But the property is uninhabitable with no doing of my own. There must be something for scenarios like this! 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Check out this recent post

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/My-building-burnt-down-No-virgin-at...

Not exactly the same as your situation (as your tenancy has ended and you are not returning) but maybe VM can come up with some kind of compassionate response to a 'disaster' kind of situation which was not of your doing. The pictures of the flooding in London on the news looked dreadful.

Wait for the forum team to get here in a day or two and see if they can help.

Hi @hasman404,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear that all of this has happened. I'm going to send you a private message in a few moments so we can take a few more details to investigate what's gone on and to advise further.

Please respond to this at your earliest convenience and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if VM cannot or will not help it would be worth talking to your house contents insurance company - the loss of money to VM could be part of any loss you have suffered for other goods - furniture etc

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hi Zach, waiting for your message. Speak soon. 

Unfortunately, i did not have contents insurance! To be entirely honest, i wasn't aware contents insurance was a common thing. Also my landlords insurance would not cover me. It only covers damages to the property as i found.