cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Virgin Media lost its ability to focus on the customer?

jamesj74
On our wavelength

On the first of March I was called by Virgin and agreed to a new bundle.  TV, faster broadband and an updated landline package for £44 PCM.  A few days later the TV 360 box arrived and I soon discovered I couldn’t make use of it without an engineer visit to install a length of coax (not explained during the call).  I didn’t really need the TV package that much to be interfering with the fabric of the house so I called up to ask if I could return it (logic being there was little point it gathering dust here - right?).  Anyway the chap I spoke to didn’t seem to understand what I was asking and I later discovered he went and cancelled the new contract without my permission.  When I found out I called again and asked for that contract to be reinstated, I agreed I’d keep the TV box and not use it, but it seems Virgin can’t simply reinstate a contract and they can’t even get back to the price I had signed up to.  I’ve seen this before when a company gets too large: it looses its focus on the customer.  The systems and workflows have no flexibility or wiggle room.  Even the choices when you call the support line are unhelpful if what you’re calling about doesn’t fit the matrix.  There’s no “or if you’re calling about something else then hold the line”.  It’s a sad state of affairs.  As soon as some other provider can supply me with broadband that matches Virgin’s speed I’m out of here!

3 REPLIES 3

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jamesj74 

Thanks for posting on our community forum and so sorry to hear about the issues with your package.

I'll drop you a private message now to collect some more information and investigate further, keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

unisoft
Well-informed

@jamesj74 wrote:

On the first of March I was called by Virgin and agreed to a new bundle.  TV, faster broadband and an updated landline package for £44 PCM.  A few days later the TV 360 box arrived and I soon discovered I couldn’t make use of it without an engineer visit to install a length of coax (not explained during the call).  I didn’t really need the TV package that much to be interfering with the fabric of the house so I called up to ask if I could return it (logic being there was little point it gathering dust here - right?).  Anyway the chap I spoke to didn’t seem to understand what I was asking and I later discovered he went and cancelled the new contract without my permission.  When I found out I called again and asked for that contract to be reinstated, I agreed I’d keep the TV box and not use it, but it seems Virgin can’t simply reinstate a contract and they can’t even get back to the price I had signed up to.  I’ve seen this before when a company gets too large: it looses its focus on the customer.  The systems and workflows have no flexibility or wiggle room.  Even the choices when you call the support line are unhelpful if what you’re calling about doesn’t fit the matrix.  There’s no “or if you’re calling about something else then hold the line”.  It’s a sad state of affairs.  As soon as some other provider can supply me with broadband that matches Virgin’s speed I’m out of here!

Do consider making Ofcom aware of the issue faced, by filling in their monitoring form here: Tell Ofcom

jamesj74
On our wavelength

I have and they referred me to the Communications Ombudsman so I complained there too 👍