Menu
Highlighted
smartacus
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Fraud loading of direct debit

Virgin have been loading my direct debit maxed out every bundle, without gaining my permission, not able to access online what theyve been charging me for. A contract is an invitation to treat, but we never asked for this stuff. Were trusting they would only charge us for what we asked. Never signed anything to enter into these extras. In effect they are plundering my Bank account without my permission, then not clarifying the extra charges no itemised breakdown of the bill. FRAUD

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraud loading of direct debit

what do you mean extra.
what does your bill day they are for?

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

they don't need your permission. whatever services you have you pay for. direct debits are variable.

the part of law 'invitation to treat' has nothing to do with this.

0 Kudos
smartacus
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

So they can charge me for things I havn't asked for, ie working from home when we never asked for it, then its not itemised. So I dont know what the charge is. If its not Fraud its highly unethical.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@jamesofmerton wrote:
they don't need your permission. whatever services you have you pay for. direct debits are variable.

“If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request” — source: Direct Debit Guarantee

0 Kudos
smartacus
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

So that includes services Ive never asked for, legally they just start charging for products you cannot use never asked for cannot see itemised on your account. So the Gas company Direct debit can charge me for Elephant food on the same principle. ( Oh but I don't own an Elephant ) 

I have never been sold these products, they have just slipped them in because no doubt it boosts someones sales figures. That still smells of FRAUD to me

0 Kudos
smartacus
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

They didnt notify me

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Have you raised this with Virgin Media? What was their response?

0 Kudos
smartacus
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Confusion firstly said she would get my records, then rang me back didn't have a clue, said I must have signed something on paper or electronically, then went right off script ( after I said I had never ) saying I was at fault for not checking my account. ( Its not possible online, the paper record doesnt itemise so havn't got a clue, what the charges are,  some items are abbreviated " Tivo " ) Theyve basically maxed my account we havn't even got a Tivo box connected. We have questioned them before. We get people from Virgin ringing us who we cannot speak to as they don't speak English well. I didn't sign a contract with a company from Outer Mongolia so why am I expected to get proper advice from someone that's not used to the nuances of the English language. Someone somewhere in Virgin gets sales rewards for cheating Direct Debit accounts. If you are from Virgin youre not helping or understanding breaking laws or ethical practises. I havn't got an Elephant so I don't need Virgin charging me for Elephant food.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Judging from other posts on this forum billing issues cannot be resolved here. Try phoning and selecting the “Thinking of leave us” option.

0 Kudos