cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud alert - signed up without my permission

ndebwayne
Joining in

I cancelled my broadband service (and received a confirmation email) with virgin on the 20th Dec 2022 and had one month left on my contract to use. I signed up with an alternative company (community fibre) on and they installed their broadband on the 11th Jan. On the 19th Jan 2023 I unplugged the virgin media box and started using my new community fibre broadband.

In early Feb I received a letter telling me my virgin media broadband would be going up by 7 which was obviously strange so I called them and was told that I had signed up with a door stop caller from virgin media over the Christmas period. I explained that this was not the case - I had not spoken to anyone at virgin since the day I cancelled. I was told it showed I had used the service in February which was not true as the box was unplugged. 

I have explained that logically it would make no sense to have 2 broadband connections from different companies and asked them to look into this as I believe it is fraud by one of their field callers. They did not seem to care very much and said a manager would call me back that day but has not.

Does anyone know my next steps - do I contact police or a fraud line - I have noticed lots of similar examples on this site so do not think Virgin media take this seriously - Thanks for any advice.

4 REPLIES 4

ndebwayne
Joining in
Fraud alert - signed up without my permission

2 seconds ago

I cancelled my broadband service (and received a confirmation email) with virgin on the 20th Dec 2022 and had one month left on my contract to use. I signed up with an alternative company (community fibre) on and they installed their broadband on the 11th Jan. On the 19th Jan 2023 I unplugged the virgin media box and started using my new community fibre broadband.

In early Feb I received a letter telling me my virgin media broadband would be going up by 7 which was obviously strange so I called them and was told that I had signed up with a door stop caller from virgin media over the Christmas period. I explained that this was not the case - I had not spoken to anyone at virgin since the day I cancelled. I was told it showed I had used the service in February which was not true as the box was unplugged. 

I have explained that logically it would make no sense to have 2 broadband connections from different companies and asked them to look into this as I believe it is fraud by one of their field callers. They did not seem to care very much and said a manager would call me back that day but has not.

Does anyone know my next steps - do I contact police or a fraud line - I have noticed lots of similar examples on this site so do not think Virgin media take this seriously - Thanks for any advice.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The forum team are best placed to help further with this issue; be aware it can take them a few hours or days to respond though it is usually the former.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ndebwayne, 

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear this has happened, we will  do all we can to help. 

I will need to take a look at things from our side so I am going to pop you over a private message to take a few more details. 

This will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon. 

Nat

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi ndebwayne 👋,

Thank you for your post.

I can see another forum staff has picked this up and will be able to assist on this for you 🙂

Please keep to one thread and we can look into this for you.

Zoie