cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding it impossible to cancel contract

Marco22
Joining in

I have texted, written and phoned to cancel without success.

I note others are having the same problem, how can this be the right way to run a business.

Please help!

7 REPLIES 7

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Marco22 

Which address did you write to?

When was it sent?

Did you send it by registered (signed for) post? Did you keep the receipt?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Marco22 wrote:

I have texted, written and phoned to cancel without success.

I note others are having the same problem, how can this be the right way to run a business.

Please help!

This issue of 'leaving-without-actually-leaving' has been mentioned over and over again on here in recent times.

You can report your experience to OFCOM here

https://ofcomforms.secure.force.com/formentry/SitesFormCCTMonitoring

refer to the 'fairness commitments' VM has signed up to here mentioning VM's failures in items 5 and 6

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/broadband-and-phone-firms-put-...

You can keep the report brief as OFCOM won't investigate your individual case but the report will contribute to a collection of evidence about how VM is conducting its business activities.

Wait for the VM forum team to reply here within a few days and look at your account info. Sometimes they do actually 'do the right thing' and put through the cancellation for you backdated to your original call or letter when it is clear you have called/written but the cancellation has not been actioned.

As per advice from newapollo, if you have any proof-of-posting documentation that will certainly help.

Hello, I sent it to Sunderland.

I have the receipt and I received a letter replying that they would look into my "complaint"so they did receive it, this after holding on the phone for ever and then being cut off trying to cancel.

They seem to have ignored my written request and the text to leave turning it instead into a complaint procedure....

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Well, if they've treated it as a complaint, wait on the "resolution" they'll likely offer.  Based on my own and other's experience, that's likely to be a hotch-potch of irrelevant codswallop from drop down menus, likely customised to the pidgin English that the offshore agents speak.  You respond by rejecting the resolution, and asking for a deadlock letter, with the deadlock letter you then escalate the matter to the industry complaints adjudicator CISAS, asking for the contract to be cancelled, full backdated to the original request, with refund of any charges since, and compensation for the distress and severe inconvenience caused by the company's wilful incompetence.  I'd suggest asking for £150 by way of compensation, based on the CISAS compensation guidance.

If the complaint partly addresses the matter (eg cancelled contract but not backdated, or some insulting £40 compensation offer) then you still do as above by rejecting and taking the matter to CISAS.

And regardless, do a simple summary complaint to Ofcom.  Every single day we see people coming to the forum because VM are making it difficult to leave.  That's an apparently deliberate breach of Ofcom's Fairness Commitments.  

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Marco22, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 

So sorry to hear of your difficulties trying to cancel! You should be able to cancel by phone, webchat or in writing by post.

You can see more information about this here. Generally speaking we do not process cancellations via the community forum, however we will happily send you a PM to investigate further and offer support as needed. 

You will find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

We can then return to this public thread where possible. 

All the best!

Molly

Hello, I have been unable to reconnect with the forum and private message you after our initial contact (your systems to reset do not work!) Have not been able to read your 2nd message.....therefore I've had to create another account. Please come back to me here.

Marco22

Hey @Marco777,

I'll send another private message over now to get this looked into for you. Please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L