cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False promise on upgrade broadband deal

ouda1964
Joining in

Hello everyone, 

I have been having an unusual problem with the virgin media broadband customer service team the past month. At the beginning of August or sometime late July I called customer service looking to upgrade to the 1Gbps broadband package. I spoke to an agent and the agent promised me a deal of either £54 a month or £56 with one sim card contract. I informed the agent at the time (Whom I still remember the name of) to call me the next day so we can confirm the deal. He never called. I waited 2 days and then decided to call back. I was taken aback when customer service kept on telling me that £62 is the lowest they will go. Now, while the price is higher than the original, I most likely would have brought this deal but having a certain price verbally promised and then being denied it is quite frankly very disappointing.

So over the past month I have been calling back to try and resolve this false promise. I ended up getting a discount from one of the supervisors for £59, while good, I ended up being recommended by another agent to file a complaint. I did and I have been waiting. First agent told me that it would take up to 72 hours for it to be resolved. Then another agent told me it would take 30 days. 

While I understand why it might take a while, why would so many agents make me false promises? Anyways, I have confirmed with the agent that I made a complaint with, that if the phone call where the agent promised me a certain price was found to be true, I will get that deal. So I am going to stick to it and hope for the best. 

I was just wondering is there nothing else I can do to make this process faster? Can no agent on this forum do something for me because honestly this has become exhausting having to call every week to check up. 

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just by means of some background info that may help, offers from VM Retentions are very often "of the moment" and can sometimes be invalid as soon as you've hung up from that particular call. The promotional codes can vary, literally, between calls, and it's often a good idea to accept an offer that you're happy with, and have it nailed.

The complaints process is detailed here, amongst other places but is based on a 28day turnaround. That said, whether that's likely to alter a retentions price is debatable.

VM forum staff can often resolve complex issues quicker and with less fuss than the complaints process can - but they don't generally get involved in package issues. In the vast majority of cases, those can only be resolved by phone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @ouda1964 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with getting your upgraded speeds. 

The advise japitts has provided is accurate, as per our complaints code of practice it can take up to 28 days for us to resolve a complaint.  All of our offers are subject to availability and are subject to change. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's only £3 difference.  Agents will say what they need to say to get you off the phone.

Pricing with Virgin Media is a bit like the TV show.  Deal or No Deal.

Advice to anyone is take the deal in that instance that you find the price to be fair.