cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Explain house move in simple terms.....

Turtletom100
On our wavelength

I apologise for the tone of this I have tried the live chat and WhatsApp to save time but they have done the opposite. I have being a virgin customer for many years at my current address and wanted to take virgin with me until all of a sudden I received an email from virgin informing me I would be into a new contract for 18 months, and that as billing charge a month ahead my first bill at the new address will be double normal and then to top it off I was told as the virgin billing was billed in the 3rd of each month and my move date was the 12th I would also have to pay another month come January for my previous address although the services would be disconnected. Have now told them to cancel the move and the advisor got shirty and told me that I would be liable to pay the rest of my contract. I literally haven't got time for it so before I call virgin tommorow can someone explain what the process as.

I clearly don't understand it, I thought it was I pay the 6 days usage until the 10th at my old address, pro rata I think it is called then on the 12th (because virgin take 48 hours to disconnect and then connect at new property) my services (Internet) continues and then come the 3rd of next month my bill would be the same as throughout but with a £20 movers fee, Instead I was told

"Your final bill at the current address will be £32.03 that will be taken on your Direct Debit on the 03/01/2023 and the first bill in the new address will be £78.90 that will be taken on your Direct Debit on the 30/01/2023."

3 REPLIES 3

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Turtletom100 

Sending wishes for good luck in your new home.

VM close the account at your current proeprty and usually create a final bill for there, but sometimes the charge is transferred over to your new account (VM create accounts based upon the property, not the person)

There will be a £20 moving house fee added to the new account at your new property.

Unless you make any changes such as change package or new equipment then you will continue to pay the same charges as you currently do,  and if you are still in contract then the end date will remain the same.

VM bill in advance on all new accounts (new customers and home moves)

The info below is from /billing-and-payment/bill-explainer/current-bill-explainer 

When you move home, your first bill is always higher than your standard monthly bill.

As we bill you in advance for your services, on your first month we’ll charge you a full normal month in advance as well as the partial charge from when your services were activated at your new address.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thankyou for replying, so if I am billed in advance I don't see why I am expected to pay a bill of £32 for my old address as I am not going to have the service there in January but I am also still expected to make a double payment in January for the new address. 

Hi @Turtletom100,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that there's some confusion regarding the billing if you move to a new address. The information provided by @newapollo in their post is correct; we do charge a month in advance, which to my knowledge is also how most (if not all) other providers also operate their billing. To that end, depending on when you move, you may be charged for days you didn't use the service at what will be your old/former address, but these will be credited back to you so you won't be paying for services you weren't using.

If you choose to cancel, however, and you're midway through an agreed minimum term then it's correct that you'd be charged an early disconnection fee. This is based off of the monthly rate of your bundle multiplied the remaining months left, and is capped at £240 with VAT then added.

We're unable to process move requests from here on the community forums, so I'd recommend speaking with the team on 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline) once you've made your decision and they can assist you further.

Let us know if you have any further queries, and best of luck with moving home.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!