Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Expensive Virgin Media Service

@sc489 wrote:

The £19 includes the phone also. It's only worth paying the premium price for a 350Mbps service if you really need that speed which most people won't need for routine use.

Such an underrated comment right here. Majority of customers the speed is no where near utilised (think the 10% tops mark for bandwidth usage). The package is sold as a way to wag your digital phallus in a size competition where the only prize for ‘winning’ is you spend more money for the same service.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
sc489
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to move to an Openreach supplier and truncate my digital phallus to save at least £20 per month! Once on Openreach, it's far easier to shop around and choose a cheaper supplier.

Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi sc489,

Thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to hear you are unhappy with your package and price.

I would recommend giving the team a call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 5, they will be more than happy to look into all available packages and prices for you. 

Regards

Lindsey_C

0 Kudos
sc489
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The best VM can offer me is £47 per month for a 50Mbs service with Anytime calls on a 12 month contract. The VM representative had no knowledge of price increases after 12 months. This is an exceedingly poor best offer considering competition in the broadband market.

I'm now proceeding to get an Openreach 35Mbps fibre installation & Anytime calls initially at c £25 per month on contract and £35 off contract. The VM charges have become very expensive and there is more supplier competition once you are on an Openreach connection.

0 Kudos
Guyver3000
Joining in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hmm you are not  the only one  I used to pay £47 per month for 200 megabit  broadband and a basic TV (just the terrestrial channels) and I too think that this is expensive. So i stripped the package down to 50 Megabit with basic tv for £37 a month but this is still to expensive should be about £20 per month that sounds more reasonable to me, and if you are not mindful enough to look at your bill each month it cas as if by magic start creeping up again next minute you are paying £45 and you don't know how it happened. I mean I have never had any issue with the reliability of Virgin Media Broadband ever, they are very spot on with that but.... alot of other providers as you know, are providing similar or better speed for far less money.  I guess the only reason I stay with virgin is that they can deliver internet to you without the need of being shackled to a telephone line deal for 2 years or how ever long you are in bed wih your provider for.

Its 2019, there is no need to be squeezing intenet through a phone line anymore it should be cabled direct to your house.  IF you know of another upcoming provider that can cable straight  toy our house WITHOUT the need for a telephone line and has reasonable price, I would be anxious to be furnished with this information LOL

You should go back to virgin and ask them for 50 megabit  broadband, unless you play games online it is not really necessary to have the fast broadband, its nice to have but not necessary if you are just doping online shopping or checking emails

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Playing games online isn't affected by the speed of your connection, it's affected by latency which won't vary from package to package.
Guyver3000
Joining in
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

update I beat them down from £37 a month to £22  it will cost you about 13 minutes of your life but its worth it

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@DreamOfCheese wrote:
Playing games online isn't affected by the speed of your connection, it's affected by latency which won't vary from package to package.

Such true words. It’s a wonder how many people pay over the odds for a higher headline speed that doesn’t effect them.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
sc489
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I stayed with VM by negotiating a discount for 18 months so I pay £35 per month for 50Mbps fibre broadband and Anytime calls. This is not on a contract.

That's a reasonable deal but it was like getting blood out of stone. I will no doubt face the same palaver in 18 months time.

The speed is fine for my needs.

0 Kudos