cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error messages bad request

Niknaks
Just joined

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Is anyone else getting the same messages?

Can't do anything on the website all I get is the above error messgaes!

Trying to sign my parents up to VM, been 2 weeks, and still bad request messages on pretty much every VM page I visit.

Online chat were useless.

Time to go elsewhere I think.

34 REPLIES 34

I'm only using the latest Firefox on Windows. 

I will try and recreate the issue and work out the pattern and then test with another browser to see what happens.

Thanks for getting back to us @Felixkat

Please do update us on how things go on different browsers?  Also does this happen across all devices?

Regards

Lee_R

g0fyd
Up to speed

Same happened to me today, a real pane in the kneck

Time Virgin Media sorted this, like others clearing browser history and cookies but this caused other problems

I also hate the new lay out of the webpage

GET IT SORTED

Thanks for your post @g0fyd, we'll do all we can to ensure that this error you've been experiencing with our website is resolved as soon as possible.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hello,

Technical information, for your web site support team.

The 400 Bad Request error occurs because the browser is sending too large a request to the web server.

The request is too large because the 'cookie' Request Header is too large. At a glance it appears to be caused by Virgin Media's site using cookies to track navigation history - it's using the cookie header to remember where the browser has been.  Your site is continually appending to the cookie header, and so it grows and grows, and then it reaches a size that the web server can't handle.

Deleting all virginmedia.com cookies will temporarily solve the problem, until you browse around the site too much.

Happy to provide screenshots or client side debugging data as necessary.

This is probably one of the worst websites I've ever used. Broken pages all over. I can't do a thing online.

Hi novodean

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service and this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. 

Can you confirm if this is happening on multiple browsers and does it change once the cache and cookies have been deleted?

Chris 

Hi Chris,

Yes in all browsers and having cleared caches and cookies etc.

This company is unbelievable.  DESPITE someone (lukebigum) who is clearly more technical than your web team, giving you a very clear description of the problem and its solution, you continue to ask questions like this.  Deleting cookies is only a temporary fix and causes your users other problems.  PLEASE just get your web team to simply sort out the problem.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ggalstaun,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing the same issue as the posters on this thread! 

Can you tell us what page you're having these issues on? Are you able to attach a link so we can look into this further from our end?

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs