cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of contract advice

Omaranwar
Tuning in

Hello all,

So my curent m500 + 5gb sim is coming to an end at the end of Jan, was pauing £44 and VM have emailed me stating my discount will end and the price will rise to £77. 

I will most definately have to cancel as I cannot afford that,and really and truely am struggling with the current price I am on now lately.

How do I go about cancelling? I work from home and do not want them to disconnect before I find a new provider in time. I will have to look for a new deal elsewhere asap, my current package ends on 29/01/2023. 

If i cancel, should I inform them now? And is there any notice period VM needs from me? If I cancelled how long does my service carry on until it disconnects.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a very strong likelihood that your price is exactly the same as it always has been, but that some time-limited discounts are expiring to match to the end of your minimum term - whilst your contract will continue as normal. It's an important distinction to make.

The onus is on you to do one of the following:

1: Find an alternative provider for your needs, and get an install date lined up. Then give VM 30days notice to disconnect, ensuring that you are happy with your new services before VM is disconnected.

2: Find prices from alternative suppliers for your needs, and use those to negotiate a new promotional discount with VM in exchange for a new minimum term contract.

If you negotiate a new package, it can usually take effect immediately - a disconnection requires 30days notice. So if you take option 1, then you will have a period of time paying the standard, undiscounted price for your package.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's a very strong likelihood that your price is exactly the same as it always has been, but that some time-limited discounts are expiring to match to the end of your minimum term - whilst your contract will continue as normal. It's an important distinction to make.

The onus is on you to do one of the following:

1: Find an alternative provider for your needs, and get an install date lined up. Then give VM 30days notice to disconnect, ensuring that you are happy with your new services before VM is disconnected.

2: Find prices from alternative suppliers for your needs, and use those to negotiate a new promotional discount with VM in exchange for a new minimum term contract.

If you negotiate a new package, it can usually take effect immediately - a disconnection requires 30days notice. So if you take option 1, then you will have a period of time paying the standard, undiscounted price for your package.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thanks for your reply, my package, which I took out in august 2021, as a 1st time customer started at £44. It has been the same throughout and I acknowledge this is a discounted price as the VM guy came to my door to offer me this due to my road being a brand new install of their services.

• If I cancelled today,would my service end 30 days from today? If so would I be paying the non discount amount. Their email states
  • "If you decide to switch, you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice by calling 0345 454 1111, but if you cancel after your contract ends on 28/01/2023 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay.

Abit confused as to if I should wait until after the 28th and cancel,or sort either a new deal with them before hand. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Both your contract and every monthly bill will show your full package price together with any time-limited discounts you have - with their expiry date. Feel free to post up a copy of any of this (with identifiable details removed) if you'd like a second opinion,

If you give cancellation notice, then your services and billing will continue until 30days from when you give that notice. At that time, your services will be cancelled and a final bill will be triggered.

As mentioned above, if you take the renegotiation route then any new package you agree is often effective immediately. If you were to give 30days notice today, it will be effective on or round 20/02/23.

The best package negotiations are often achieved when you are in possession of prices from alternative suppliers and therefore demonstrate that you are serious about leaving. So getting alternative prices is - I would suggest - a no-brainer in any case. What you then do with those quotes is your choice, but using them in a renegotiation will potentially be the simpler and quicker solution.

I understand, I have seen a few deals at a much cheaper price and same speeds, so will definately try to negotiate 1st. My only problem is I have physical and hearing impairments, making a call to VM is nearly impossible for me, I have tried the VM watts app chat but no help there.

Thank you for your help in this

• Screenshot_20230121_163327_Chrome.jpg

 here is a copy of my bill if it helps 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That screenshot confirms your monthly bill consists of £32.26 worth of discounts, plus £44 of standard charges, which tallies with your £77/month figure above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to point out that VM offer some accessibility support https://www.virginmedia.com/help/accessibility

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Omaranwar, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community.

I am sorry to hear your package price is no longer suitable for you.

What has happened when you have messaged our team via WhatsApp? Have they been able to offer any alternative packages/prices?

When did you last contact the team please?

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi nat,thanks for replying. 

I spoke to someone yesterday for 3 hours via watts app. They didnt understand my situation to be honest, and we ended uo cancelling my contract which will disconnect 1 month from yesterday. Was not the outcome I hoped for but, I did show him alternative offers at a cheaper price and all he could say is I am making a mistake of going elsewhere as it wont be the same without VM.

He did offer me 1gig and a 4gb sim at £50 but I told him I cant go higher than what I am already on now due to my circumstances, and that there is a 1gig offer for £30 from hyperoptic.

That was the end of it as far as they could do for me so he cancelles my contract