cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of Contract Credit

danmc93
Tuning in

My Virgin Media TV, broadband and phone line deal ended 3/9/22 after my partner and I decided to switch to another provider. My final bill went out a few days later and I've received a letter today informing me I'm actually in credit of almost £130 after discounts ended in September in my contract with VM.

I have just spoken with a member of the team at VM after checking on the VM website itself how to request this credit to be refunded, only to be told my account with VM was closed on 9/9/22 and it can take up to 45 days (unsure if working days) for a cheque to be sent out in the post to me. 

With respect, this is an extremely outdated form of giving a refund, and reeks of VM trying to keep hold of money that, in my opinion, was wrongly taken, in the hope the cheque won't be cashed.

There was absolutely no need to bill me again after I made it clear I would not be retaining VM services at the end of this current contract, hence the 30 days notice provided. Surely that 30 days notice period is enough time for VM to get their acts together and make sure I wasn't billed again, which would create far less work for me having to chase said refund, and for you having to provide it!!!

Yet another disgruntled customer!

4 REPLIES 4

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @danmc93

Thank you so much for your post and welcome back to the forums. 

I am so sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the end of service process and I can fully understand the frustrations caused. 

We bill as normal up until the disconnection date, after which we will arrange the refund for services paid for but not used. I understand that this can be confusing but you will receive a refund for the service you have not used. Unfortunately at the moment this is our policy and the only way we offer a final bill. 

Can I ask if you paid via direct debit with us and if so is this still active? 

Thank you. 

Hi Ash,

I had no trouble with VM services prior to telling VM that I was leaving. Then after numerous phone calls asking me to stay, offering me different deal after different deal, none of which matched or bettered what I was being offered elsewhere, they finally got the message.

My annoyance is why does the refund process take so long? There's no excuse for the time it takes. If this was the other way around, I would be being hounded.

The bill was via direct debit yes and as far as I'm aware it is still active. In which case, why can this credit refund not be paid via these means? A cheque is an extremely outdated, time consuming and frankly inconvenient way of refunding me.

Thanks.

Hi @danmc93,

Thank you for expanding on this, and I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Provided your final bill is generated with a balance that's in credit and you have an active Direct Debit in place on the account for the duration, a refund will be processed to you via a bank transfer within 45 days after the account has been disconnected and any equipment has been returned if needed. If you don't have an active Direct Debit in place then it will be sent via a cheque instead.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @danmc93 

VM issue a final bill once the account has closed for a number of reasons, such as the customer may have changed their mind about cancelling, or there may have been additional charges incurred during the 30 days cancellation notice such as chargeable phone calls, or the customer purchasing PPV's, or movies etc.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali