cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from virgin saying can cancel without fee

Adamt1974
Tuning in

I received an email from virgin last week regarding upcoming price rises. As I signed up for an 18 month contract which runs for another 9 months I am unaffected. However the email clearly states that if I am unhappy I can leave with no cancellation fee. 

As I’ve had some real problems with virgin media I decided to take up the opportunity to leave fee free despite the fact the price of my package was not going up. However when calling customer service they said I would have to pay a cancellation fee and refused to accept what the email clearly stated.

How is that fair?! I’m not sure how I get virgin to honour what was stated in their email? Not sure if others have recently had this problem?

13 REPLIES 13

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It seems fair. Your current contract is not affected so early cancellation fees are payable if you wish to cancel early.

Can you detail, perhaps by screenshot of your email, why you believe it suggests otherwise?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

This is the text from the email, It doesn’t say this this only applies to those not in contract:

“If you're not happy with any of the changes announced in this email, including those to our out of home WiFi hotspots and pricing terms and conditions, you can change or cancel your package, including your Volt O₂ sim, any time before 23rd March 2023, without paying any cancellation fees.”

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I can see where your coming from but your unhappiness comes from you wanting to cancel now and not being able to, not from anything in the email.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I guess my point is the email clearly states I can cancel before 23rd march without any charge, but when I called virgin to cancel I was told there would be a fee. That contradicts what the email says.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Adamt1974,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your set up, are you able to expand on the issues you're having so we can take a further look?
Regards,

Kain

Hi Kain,

The issue I’m having is pretty much what I detailed in my original post. I received an email from virgin last week stating that I could cancel my contract by 23rd March with no charge. But when I phoned virgin to cancel was told there would be an early termination charge. I’ve since spoke to virgin on WhatsApp who agreed there would be no charge for leaving apart from my o2 sim. Which seems odd as o2 sim was part of my package 

Hi Adamt1974,

Thank you for coming back to us. We don't usually help with cancellation requests here from the forums, but we'd really like to help you out and get to the bottom of this. 

I've sent you over a private message so I can take your details. Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope.

Beth

@Adamt1974 wrote:

This is the text from the email, It doesn’t say this this only applies to those not in contract:

“If you're not happy with any of the changes announced in this email, including those to our out of home WiFi hotspots and pricing terms and conditions, you can change or cancel your package, including your Volt O₂ sim, any time before 23rd March 2023, without paying any cancellation fees.”

Does it mention anywhere that next year the contract changes to RPI + 3.9% - it could be buried in T&C's attachment or link?

If so, you can leave without penalty as its notification of a substantial change to your T&C's.

The fact they have also put into writing you can leave, should also stand up regardless.

cheesy1
On our wavelength

I'm trying to get through to cancel now , been on live chat and whatsapp all day and still cannot get through to anyone . Must be the sheer amount of people trying to cancel or downgrade their packages . I'm with you , my email said if i wasn't happy with the new terms i could leave without any exit fee's so that is what i am trying to do , I'm on a volt package and email says that is all so included so I expect to cancel with no charge . That is if i can get through to someone ?