cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email from Virgin (included confirmation of account info) but Virgin Helpdesk know nothing about it

andrewilley
Fibre optic

I just had an email stating our broadband is out of contract (and correctly confirming the date that it expired, several years ago) offering a 25% discount on the same package if we renewed again for 18 months. Is this a known scam, as I can't see how a scam email generator would know our last contract expiry date (unless Virgin has been hacked).

Virgin's telephone helpdesk know nothing and suggested using online chat (still waiting to be connected to an agent).

Andre

43 REPLIES 43

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @andrewilley thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised.

Are you able to kindly provide a screenshot of the email so we can look into this? Obviously please remove any personal info such as your own email address, account number etc.

Many thanks

Tom_W

andrewilley
Fibre optic

andrewilley_0-1688914971748.png

The original contract end date (back in 2018 actually) was correct, I've masked it out here though.

The domain portion of the renew link was https://clicks.em.virginmedia.co.uk/

Andre

ABrowne
Dialled in

This is very similar to the email I received yesterday, discussed in the thread titled "20% discount offer misleading!". It doesn't appear to be a scam, although the renew link didn't actually work for me. Useful to know the helpdesk know nothing about it, as that's saved me a telephone call. 

andrewilley
Fibre optic

Yes, the renew link (email seemed legit due to the sender knowing the contract date but I typed the domain portion manually just in case it was spoofed, and the SSL certificate was valid too) actually offered me a HIGHER price than the current rate we're paying. Something is definitely screwy here, as the Virgin 150 helpdesk people knew nothing and said to try the webchat (still waiting for an agent for that over an hour later).

Andre

Hi @andrewilley thanks for your patience here.
We can confirm that the email is genuine, but that there is an issue with the link in question.

We are aware of this and investigating - we're hopeful of being able to sort this ASAP for all affected.
Many thanks

Tom_W

Thanks for the update @Tom_W1 . At least we now know these emails are not phishing scams, which was my initial concern. Not sure why the telephone support people weren't aware though, they said nothing had been sent which was somewhat concerning.

So any joy with making the link work so I can take advantage of the 25% discount offer for renewing, now that we know it's genuine? £22.50 off our current £90 bill would be very welcome.

Andre

Hi andrewilley,

Thanks for coming back to us. We're still investigating the email link issue currently. We appreciate you patience with this and are working as quickly as possible to get this issue resolved. 

Kind regards Jodi. 

AMAD102402
Joining in

Hi, I have received the same 25% offer today (17/07/2023), and still the link doesn't work.   I have been waiting on the live chat for 1hr 15mins to discuss and still waiting.   Why is Virgin Media's customer service so poor.  Seriously considering looking elsewhere. (that's if I can get through to Virgin to cancel my contract).     .     

Hello AMAD102402

We understand the frustration and confusion caused by the recent email, we aren't able to make changes via the forums. Our web chat, telephone team and messaging service is based on availability and can be difficult to get through on during busy periods. 

If you can give the team a call on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 4 this will get you through to the contracts team who will be able to look into this further for you. 

We also have these contact methods available https://virg.in/contactvm.

Rob