Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Downgrade my package

Hi I really need to downgrade my package. I used to share the bill with 5 other people who have left now to return to their home countries (international students.) I’m on the highest tariff possible and I’d like to downgrade to the cheapest one. It’s only me using it now and we’ve never gotten even close to the advertised speed anyway.

There’s no option to do this on the website, presumably so you can persuade people out of it when they ring you. I can’t get through on the phone, I understand that you’re short staffed and extremely busy. I don’t mind waiting but I get hung up on after an hour of waiting and no answer. I’ve also tried texting and got no answer other than from the bot.

I can’t pay that much anymore so if no one contacts me before the next billing date I will simply cancel the order with the bank and you can consider me no longer a customer. I get better service on my data plan with BT anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Downgrade my package

I see other queries on the forum with fairly trivial issues being answered within hours by Virgin admin. Yet you’re ignoring me. Message received, I’m cancelling my direct debit, I am no longer your customer. Please consider this my notification of the end of my contract. I would cancel the regular way but I keep getting hung up on, on the phone line before even getting through. Goodbye.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Bad move. If VM dont receive payment for services you have received they will just transfer the debt to a collection agency and black mark you credit rating.

You should try again and call retentions between 08.00-09.00 as thats the best time to get through.

Nothing can be done on here and this "notice" will go unnoticed. You can also cancel in writing, details are on the website - just google it.   Note that its a 30 day notice period and there will be a £'s penalty if you are still "in contract" - not if your are out of it.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I called multiple times between 9:00-15:00 it was impossible to get through. Guess I’ll have to cancel in writing. If you can’t man your call centres you should really put more options on your website Virgin!

I get why they’re not but good luck getting money out of people when they can’t work. Honestly bad credit is the least of my worries right now...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It’s almost as if they’re working on a reduced

workforce.....

You need to speak to someone on the phone to cancel - cancelling your Direct Debit will not do this. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The guys who work for collection agencies are very proficient at getting monies (or payment in kind) from people with little of it - and can wait till this crisis is over before they come calling 😞

Sorry I hope it wont come to that extreme position particularly as lots of people will be in a similar position and it would be terrible PR for any company doing this - particularly as you say - when they could be making the process slicker.

Try calling spot on 08.00 then.... and get the letter written whilst waiting.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@gary_dexter I can appreciate that and like I said I don’t mind waiting on the phone all day until they have someone free. They hang up after being on hold for about an hour. I don’t even want to leave I just want to change my package and there’s no good reason for that not be be available on their website.

I had a look on the forums and they were deliberately obfuscating the process before all this. It should be a simple “I do not want this service anymore so take it away and I’ll stop paying.” But they want to bully people into staying so they make you call them. Now they don’t have the staff to do that so it’s more impossible than it was before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve been very lucky not to experience that before (as of yet 😐) I’m gonna try calling again and I’ve already started on a letter.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

This is for anyone else who needs it, after doing some googling I think you need to send a letter to: 

This is for anyone else who needs it, after doing some googling I think you need to send a letter to: 

Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

With your name account number and home address and the date you wish to cancel. I’m on a rolling contract so it’s 30 days notice. I don’t know what it is for other contracts. Make sure to get signed delivery so you know they got it. 

With your name account number and home address and the date you wish to cancel. I’m on a rolling contract so it’s 30 days notice. I don’t know what it is for other contracts. Make sure to get signed delivery so you know they got it. 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Not everything found on Google search is up-to-date.  The Swansea office closed last year.

You could try the address given in the Contact Us link.  

Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks