cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discounted monthly payments. Now rising?

jksreddev
Dialled in

Hi. I know there are a lot of threads on here about how people have fixed contracts and that VM are raising prices. Just checking I have this right...

1. I entered Into a renegotiated 18 month contract  in October 2022 which is due to end April 2024.

2. Now I receive a letter saying its going up by £15 per month - a whopping 27% increase. Way over inflation and the RPI which quite simply isn't justified.

3. I gather from other posts that VM can do this mid contract .

4. If you're signing a new contract,  surely it's for peace of mind that the monthly fee guarantees the same for 18months? Otherwise what's the point?

5. So does that now mean i have to renegotiate so I won't get whacked with a 27% increase? That fills me with dread as I've been trying this for 3 weeks with VM for my dad's account since he got his increase letter and now they've already taken his extra £15 as they're too slow to respond.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

2. Now I receive a letter saying its going up by £15 per month - a whopping 27% increase. Way over inflation and the RPI which quite simply isn't justified.

Because what you agreed to (whether you realised or not) was a fixed discount contract.  VM apply their 13.4% increase to the base price, so that it is magnified in inverse proportion to your discount.  Or in English, anybody on a decent discount is hit with around double the price increase VM claim as their price rise.  

Yes, but you can renegotiate or cancel.

4. If you're signing a new contract,  surely it's for peace of mind that the monthly fee guarantees the same for 18months? Otherwise what's the point?

No, that's what you thought you were getting (and maybe were missold), from VM's side of the fence the logic of the deal was 18 month lock in with £xxd off the prevailing standard prices for the full period of 18 months. 

5. So does that now mean i have to renegotiate so I won't get whacked with a 27% increase? That fills me with dread as I've been trying this for 3 weeks with VM for my dad's account since he got his increase letter and now they've already taken his extra £15 as they're too slow to respond.

Yes.  See this post for options.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Because what you agreed to (whether you realised or not) was a fixed discount contract.  VM apply their 13.4% increase to the base price, so that it is magnified in inverse proportion to your discount.  Or in English, anybody on a decent discount is hit with around double the price increase VM claim as their price rise.  

Yes, but you can renegotiate or cancel.

No, that's what you thought you were getting (and maybe were missold), from VM's side of the fence the logic of the deal was 18 month lock in with £xxd off the prevailing standard prices for the full period of 18 months. 

Yes.  See this post for options.

Keenzo
Up to speed

Dial 150 from your home phone line, options 1,1,1,4,4 for thinking of leaving.

call between 8-9 am and you should get straight through to the uk call center and they should help

Good Luck