cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnected before I moved out

Hughwithgh
Tuning in

Hello, I hope someone is able to help here as despite customer service appearing to be helpful they failed to resolve my problem and every time I call I get told something different. 

VM admitted they made a mistake and disconnected me without my consent yet a week has gone and I still have no internet, not too bothered about the TV. I work from home and this is extremely inconvenient. I was told if I don’t want to have the phone line, it would take 2 hours to reconnect internet + TV, then it was 72 hours, when that didn’t happen I was told another 72 hours…What is going on? 

9 REPLIES 9

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Hughwithgh thanks for your post although we're sorry to hear of your concerns raised surrounding the early disconnection.

If you have requested a re-connection, this can take usually up to 72 hours depending on the circumstances.

Was the disconnection as part of a house move, you leaving us in the future or something different as these two circumstances are usually the most common when this happens.

If you can advise further, we can take it from there for you.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom_W1, 

Thanks for your reply. 

Initially, I was told the disconnection was due to an outstanding fee of £7.49. I didn’t know what this fee was for as I pay my bills by direct debit. Anyhow, I wanted the issue resolved and pay the fee but every time I tried, the amount would change to £77.49. Customer service advised it’s a glitch on your side and eventually I was able to settle the bill. However, customer service on the phone said that due to the system error he is unable to take the restrictions off and advised to call back the following day. 

Since then I call every day and being told different things; sometimes the issue still appears to be with the bill, other times I’m told it’s due to the ‘fact’ that the new owners who will be moving in on 13/03 provided you with some sort of proof of address and therefore you disconnected us as you believed we no longer live here even if we do. You never called to check with us if we moved out and you were unable to tell me what proof of address the new owners sent as they do not yet live here. 

Anyhow, all the different customer service representatives told us different things: we will reconnect you in 2 hours, 24 hours, 72 hours etc. And yesterday, to my surprise I was told to pay £25 reconnection fee! For something that you admitted was your fault.

Naturally I refused to pay this amount; the disconnection issue was not my fault, VM admitted this several times. Eventually I was told not to pay £25 and we will be reconnected in 24 hours. Of course this hasn’t happened! 

And every time we call, the automated service say the disconnection is due to an unpaid bill. Then I wait to speak to someone, they do not seem to know what is going on, eventually they offer a solution that then comes to nothing. 

I’m beyond frustrated so if you could help to sort this out, it would be much appreciated. Thank you 

Hi Tom_W1,

An update: I called again customer service and asked to speak to a manager.

Finally, VM came out clean and said our numerous reconnection requests cannot be processed even tho the disconnection was your fault. It’s because the reconnection team says the request cannot be processed.  
But why not say this at the first instance?

Why allow me to call you every day going through the same painful process and not telling the truth the first time round? I have no words, what an appalling service!

Hey Hughwithgh, thank you for reaching out and I am so sorry to hear this.

I understand how frustrating this for you, at the time we would've thought we could of done it but I am sorry this is the the case.

If you want we can look at raising a complaint for you? Thanks

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

@Hughwithgh wrote:

Hi Tom_W1,

An update: I called again customer service and asked to speak to a manager.

Finally, VM came out clean and said our numerous reconnection requests cannot be processed even tho the disconnection was your fault. It’s because the reconnection team says the request cannot be processed.  
But why not say this at the first instance?

Why allow me to call you every day going through the same painful process and not telling the truth the first time round? I have no words, what an appalling service!

Why?  Because VM have offshored and outsourced their customer service to the armpits of the world, and in those locations (a) the staff aren't VM employees so know nothing about how the company actually operates so can't just contact the right employee in the right team based on their own knowledge, and (b) they have little training and have to stick to a script, with anything off-script being beyond their ability to address, and (c) local culture involves a loss of face in saying "I don't know", resulting in bull****ing answers that we hear regularly reported in these forums.  This approach also enables the agent to chalk up another call as "resolved" which meets the poor quality KPIs that VM apply to their subcontractors, so the agent is happy, the subcontracting company is happy, VM are happy.  The only person who's not happy is you.

In your circumstances I'd be seeking compensation for (a) the early and unwarranted disconnection and the severe inconvenience it has caused, for (b) the billing error relating to alleged overdue payment, for (c) the appalling customer service subsequently and the nuisance, wasted time and stress  You can either let this lie, accept any insulting fifteen quid goodwill gesture, or you can seek something more appropriate.  If its the latter then there's no hurry (just as well if you're moving shortly), but when you're in a situation to do so, you make a formal complaint to VM in writing at their Sunderland address and sent by recorded post. VM's complaint handling is to the company's universal standard of excellence, so start on the assumption that it will be fobbed off or ignored, and you should read and follow the guidance from Ombudsman Services to then take the complaint to adjudication.  In the circumstances I'd ask for £150.

Thank you both for your input and trying to help. I heard about companies outsourcing their customer service to 3rd party,  it might work for the company saving monies but clearly it doesn’t work for the customer. This model should not be allowed, or at least there should be a way to connect to a VM employee in ‘complex’ cases 3rd party can’t resolve. 

Anyhow, I got to the point where I no longer care. I’m gonna send the box back and that’s it, I don’t want to do anything with VM ever again. Which is a shame after 4 years of good service. This past week put me off VM for life. 

Thanks again for your replies. 

We truly apologise for this experience @Hughwithgh We are sad to see you go. We will take your feedback onboard and pass it on to the relevant team for quality training and further improvement. For more details, on returning the kit, you may find the following link useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-restart-or-reset-your-box#tab2

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Not entirely sure that providing a link to a web page which tells you how to turn your TV box off and on again, in any way, shape or form helps the customer to return equipment to VM.

I mean, it's not as if he already has a perception of VM as a company riddled with incompetence and disregard for customer care, from top to bottom, is it?

And, I'm sure that the meaningless platitudes about this being fed back (no it won't) and improving the training (no, that won't happen either), will give him some comfort!

Apologises @jem101 @Hughwithgh 

An incorrect link was attached. The correct link should have been https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-return-or-recycle-equipment

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs