Menu
Highlighted
APeridot34
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Direct Debit name incorrect on Virgin media account

Hello,

We are new customers, signed up early December 18, the account is in my husbands name but I pay all the bills so the bank account details are mine.  Upon checking how much the first bill is going to be, I logged onto the my virgin media site and discovered that although it is my bank account details, the account name has been entered as my husbands.  I immediately phoned as I am worried that as the account name is wrong, the payment will be refused by my bank.  What a frustrating call this was... after much swapping over to my husband who is basically clueless as to what's going on (hes chronically ill), eventually, after much talking and stressing to the person on the other end of the line, I got precisely nowhere... a complete waste of time.  The best he could do is tell me to ring up again and make a payment over the phone.  This doesn't resolve the issue!  I have made a part payment today online and will pay the full amount before the direct debit is due to be collected, however will be in exactly the same position next month as the direct debit details as input by virgin are wrong!  We made sure the bank account name on the contract was correct to avoid this very issue.  After looking at the account online, I have made an assumption that I can change the direct debit name details on 'my virgin media' online once this billing cycle has passed, has anyone else had experience of this?

Off to take paracetamol for the headache this has caused me....

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Direct Debit name incorrect on Virgin media account

AFAIK, no you cant. The primary billing details are locked to the account.

But if you are SURE the DD will fail , you can still make a payment online. TBF Virgin give a few days grace on bills, so waiting to see if the DD happens and submitting a quick pay if not wont cost you anything.

Just be aware that payment made before the DD is due ARE NOT subtracted from the DD in a lot of cases so you may well end up paying twice by trying to do the right thing....

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
APeridot34
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply, this is bad news as I cant afford to pay twice (especially as I am still paying sky too)  I've no option then but to  consider cancelling the direct debit with my bank and then call virgin to set it up again with the correct details... what a mess, wish I'd left it to see what happens and not paid online... just shows, doing the apparent 'right thing' isn't always the best thing.

0 Kudos
APeridot34
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Just tried to change this post and it wont allow me, as an update, I have decided to leave things as they are and hope that the £80 I have paid is taken into account with the direct debit, i have checked on my banking app and it appears the direct debit is set up so fingers crossed the name quoted wont matter....
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I am fairly sure that the banking system does not check the name and your DD will be taken.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

APeridot34
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Oh, in response to my earlier phone call to get the payment details changed, I have received a form by email to change the account name, costing me £20 just to correct a mistake they made in the first place! OMG... is it just me?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The form you would of had with the fee is to change the account in to your name, not leave it in your husbands.

At the moment the husband is the account owner not you, you just pay the bill. Should you choose to stop for whatever reason the husband is the one liable not you.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi there APeridot34, 

Thanks so much for your post - I am so sorry about any confusion caused with the Direct Debit and subsequent emails you have been sent. 

So, as our Superuser Ernie_C advised, the Direct Debit will only check the account number and sort code; as long as these are correct, the Direct Debit will come out with no issues on the date advised on your bill. 

Also, as advised above, if you have made any manual payments via ebilling or our IVR, these will NOT be reflected in the Direct Debit - any payment made manually will just sit as a credit on your account and show on the next bill to be produced; The Direct Debit will take the full amount listed on your bill. 

The email you have received regarding a £20 charge is to change the account name - this is not in any relation to changing the Direct Debit information. 

If you would like us to check your account and update the name on the Direct Debit, please do let us know and we can pop you a Private Message to go through security. 

Please do not hesitate to pop back here if you have any further queries or concerns. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SiWil
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I have a virtually identical experience, my wife’s name used (salesman error) instead of mine as account holder, and her name in my DIrect Debit section (same door salesman) although the bank account details are actually mine.

I have paid a bank transfer to avoid payment issues, but since this payment may just sit there unused could you advise how I might recover it please

Thanks 

0 Kudos
APeridot34
Tuning in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

How do I get my £80 back then? And what's the point in being able to make manual payments if the direct debit doesn't reflect this? Am I better cancelling the direct debit and paying manually for the first month?
0 Kudos