cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default on credit file shock

Goodeys
Joining in

I’m going for my first ever mortgage and to my surprise I have found a default on my credit file. 
I cancelled my Virgin when I moved in 2020 and was in credit, I was told that i would receive a refund by cheque. I never did and assumed everything was ok. Fast forward a few months and I discover on my credit file 2 late payments. I immediately paid it without querying as it was only £32 where normally it cost £49 monthly which made no sense but I couldn’t be bothered with the hassle of querying mid pandemic. 

I have today downloaded my credit file for my mortgage broker and it shows as a defaulted account which has severely impacted my credit score. I have a perfect payment history on everything and never ever miss payments and never did when I was a virgin customer either.

Clicking on it further it to expand the payment history and I can’t make any sense of it at all.  green tick against the last £49 payment, then a green tick against the next month as £0 (assume this is because the account was settled), then a green tick against £32 then two months of apparent missed payments and then at £0 again where it is marked as defaulted. It makes no sense at all and I really need this default to be removed as I will not get a mortgage and my son and I will be effectively homeless as my landlord is selling. 

I received no communication from Virgin in the first place about the £32 and found out by fluke. I really don’t know how I can have a default for a bill I was never sent on a service that I wasn’t even receiving and I supplied my new address and you guys also have my phone number. 

I have been in floods of tears today with savage anxiety as I’m essentially in real trouble now. It’s a share to buy property and they never come up in this area so it’s not a case of just finding another house if this falls through.

I was hoping to become a virgin customer again in the future but I doubt I’d even pass your credit searches now and the Virgin default is the only bad thing on my file. 

please can someone help with this? 
thanks 
sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sam

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the credit file dispute and certainly understand the importance of getting to the bottom of this especially if you're applying for a mortgage. I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Sam

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the credit file dispute and certainly understand the importance of getting to the bottom of this especially if you're applying for a mortgage. I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill