cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Removal

Ajw1
Tuning in
Hi there,

I was a Virgin Customer while I was at university in 2018. I was 18 at the time and I was sold a broadband contract. I was a loyal customer for a year until I had to relocate. I tried to take my broadband with me but there was no virgin in the area I was moving to. Virgin was informed that the broadband will be left in that address. I tried to close the account but I was told I could not by one of your advisors. The advisor informed me that if I gave the new residents the necessary information they could transfer the account. I called to confirm if this was all sorted and the advisor confirmed that the new tenants will be responsible for the payments from 1/04/2019 till the end of the contract. I never received any form of communication from Virgin Telecom till this day. 

Issue at hand:

I have now graduated and I am looking to begin the rest of my life. I am looking to purchase a house so I downloaded Clearscore and I was shocked to see the default on my profile so I contacted my tech lawyer and he instructed me to contact Virgin. I felt like the rest of my life had ended before it even started. Even though I don't believe I am responsible for the £55 balance, I am more than willing to pay it. No lenders are willing to lend to me because of this and it is really affecting me. If you can remove this default from my credit profile it will go a very long way.

Regards, 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do not make the mistake of a settling a debt that is incorrectly attributed to you as it will:

• validate the debt as being correct
  • only change the status of the default record in the credit report to settled, i.e. the default will remain on your credit file

Consider instead:

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A not unfamiliar story i'm afraid. I will flag for a VM person to comment and advise. Meanwhile someone with more knowledge of the processes should comment soon

Do you have any records that can confirm what you were told by VM?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Afternoon @Ajw1, thanks for your post on our Community Forums, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear of the issues you've faced with the effect caused to your credit score

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do not make the mistake of a settling a debt that is incorrectly attributed to you as it will:

• validate the debt as being correct
  • only change the status of the default record in the credit report to settled, i.e. the default will remain on your credit file

Consider instead:

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes. If you pay now you will be acknowledging that you left a debt unpaid for an extended period.

Virginmedia are totally inefficient in every aspect of their business except one - hitting their customers' credit records. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Normal advice in these scenarios is that you email creditfileamendments@virginmedia.co.uk with full details of the credit file entries that you believe are incorrect, they will then investigate on an "upto 28day" basis and make any amendments they deem necessary.

The issue here, will be in establishing the accuracy of the entries in question. In many cases a CS dispute is at the heart of the issue, or perhaps a customer walking away from a charge and wrongly assuming that something is resolved.

That doesn't appear to be the case here, but is worth noting.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hey John, 

unfortunately I don’t. But I believe I should be able to request call logs to confirm. However I don’t know if they’ll still have them since 2018. 

Thanks for the advice,

I have been in contact with their credit department. And they are trying to get me to settle and are telling me that the default will be removed after that. I am quite weary because it was VMs false promises that got me in this position to start off with. It’s so frustrating dealing with a business you can trust. Everyone you talk to is just saying different things. 

Hi Ajw1

Thanks for coming back to us. I shall pop you a PM now.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for joining us on PM @Ajw1

Just to update the thread, the account was sorted and the removal of the debt from the credit file is happening as we speak.

Apologies again but we're sorting it.

All the best for the future as well,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill