cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Account

congre11
Joining in

I am writing to you in shier desperation for a default account to be removed from my credit score as it is ruining my life.

I made the move over to the UK from South Africa at the end of 2020 not knowing what was what. I managed to find accommodation in Clapham (SW8 2XT) with 2 other roommates. We signed up with Virgin Media as our broadband service provider. Within the first 6 months, we had to leave the property immediately due to mold (I can send through photos as proof if need be) and my one roommate’s sister had been hospitalized due to mold poisoning the year before. Therefore, this was a massive deal for her. We had to move with immediate effect and Virgin media did not cover the area we moved to, hence we had to cancel the contract. I was never informed of the repercussions.

It should be on my record that I attempted to let Virgin Media know that I was moving but was extremely unsuccessful in getting through to anyone who could assist because of the lack of customer service due to the pandemic. I attempted for months, reaching out on multiple platforms (I can prove this if need be). The cancellation fee was too expensive for me to pay at the time given I had just made the move over from South Africa and my roommates refused to pay. Not having a clue about credit scores and default accounts at the time I didn’t think it would have such a big impact on me now. I paid the cancellation fee about a year ago.

I am slowly establishing myself in this city and am wanting to invest in buy-to-let properties. However, due to my default account from Virgin Media, lenders will not even look at me. I cannot even get a credit card or a cell phone contract because of this one mistake I made with Virgin Media.

Please could you remove this default account from my credit score? It is the only thing standing in my way from doing anything at the moment, it truly is ruining my life.

2 REPLIES 2

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You freely admit that you incurred a debt which you have now paid. This means the default will have been marked settled.

This stays on your credit file, advising anyone you want credit from of your past record of debt.

I believe there is nothing you can do.

Also, your poor credit rating is not solely down to a single default. You effectively have no credit history in this country and so there is no proof that you are a good payer, other than a few months then this default.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you. 

I have been in contact with Experian who said this is the exact reason why my credit score is low.