cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt collectors??

harpss1ngh
On our wavelength

I cancelled my Virgin Media phone and broadband back in January through the cancellations dept as I transferred to BT, they had collected my equipment a couple weeks after and closed my account which I can no longer log into, there were no debts to pay, everything was cleared via Direct Debit.

Fast forward today and I have received a debt collectors letter from BPO demanding £181 with no evidence of what this is for. At first I thought this was a scam or a wind up but apparently they deal with debt from Virgin Media.

Why am I getting these letters?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Why would they do that if it was still active.

Error or incompetence. That wouldn't be the first time for VM.

If it does turn out that you are in the right, and VM have set the attack dogs on you without due cause, then don't just settle for them mumbling an apology and calling the dogs off.  Follow @crany 's sound advice to check your credit history and make sure VM put right (this is important, credit history entries are visible for six years after an event, as per the link above).  But don't stop there, raise a formal written complaint to VM (search read and follow the Virgin Media Consumer Complaints Code of Practice,) do it by letter, recorded delivery, demanding compensation for the stress, nuisance and wasted time.  I'd pitch for £150 in your shoes, and make sure the complaint demands a deadlock letter if VM won't settle on your terms, as that enables immediate escalation to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  If you don't get a deadlock letter and/or VM lose, ignore, reject or won't settle on your terms, then you wait eight weeks at which time you can escalate to CISAS without a deadlock letter.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Hi harpss1ngh

Thanks for your post, Sorry though to read the above

When was the complaint raised if you dont mind me asking 

And do you have the reference number

Gareth_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

crany
Superfast
BPO deal with lots of companies maybe you should contact them and ask them for more info an proof you owe the debt as it may not be Virgin who you owe money too

harpss1ngh
On our wavelength

It is Virgin, it say's so on the letter along with my account number....

ah ok was just you said "no evidence of what this is for", You can call virgins dedicated Collections team on 0800 052 0360 .

It prob means they didnt put the cancellation in properly or you didnt end the contract in line with the terms and owe them money they should be able to investigate this with you tho and find out who is at fault. You might want to check your credit file too as it may have been hurt by the debt and can effect a lot of other stuff

@harpss1ngh wrote:

It is Virgin, it say's so on the letter along with my account number....

were you still in contract if so it would be early disconnect fees - that said it should have been stated at the time you gave 30 days notice i would think - maybe it was missed and they now want that money

Tony.
Sacked VIP

harpss1ngh
On our wavelength

Nope, no contract, they said they would only charge til the end of the month, and they collected the equipment 2 weeks after it was cancelled. Why would they do that if it was still active.

Why would they do that if it was still active.

Error or incompetence. That wouldn't be the first time for VM.

If it does turn out that you are in the right, and VM have set the attack dogs on you without due cause, then don't just settle for them mumbling an apology and calling the dogs off.  Follow @crany 's sound advice to check your credit history and make sure VM put right (this is important, credit history entries are visible for six years after an event, as per the link above).  But don't stop there, raise a formal written complaint to VM (search read and follow the Virgin Media Consumer Complaints Code of Practice,) do it by letter, recorded delivery, demanding compensation for the stress, nuisance and wasted time.  I'd pitch for £150 in your shoes, and make sure the complaint demands a deadlock letter if VM won't settle on your terms, as that enables immediate escalation to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS.  If you don't get a deadlock letter and/or VM lose, ignore, reject or won't settle on your terms, then you wait eight weeks at which time you can escalate to CISAS without a deadlock letter.

I raised a complaint and got a complaint number. I spoke to someone on the team who acknowledged an error, however they said a Manager would call back to discuss a solution but I have not heard back yet and the account still shows the same thing.

Hi harpss1ngh

Thanks for your post, Sorry though to read the above

When was the complaint raised if you dont mind me asking 

And do you have the reference number

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth, thanks for responding.

It was raised on 17th April.

I have the reference, I will PM it to you