Menu
Aynsas
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Data Protection Complaint

I am not a Virgin Media customer, my ex partner is, however, I keep receiving his monthly bill information via email (as it was the email address we used when we lived together).  He has attempted to contact Virgin numerous times yet they have failed to take any action.  I am having to contact my ex monthly to share with him his bill information which is causing me distress and anxiety as we are estranged and having to remain in contact is distressing.  Apart from my own distress, surely this is a breach of data protection as I am aware of his billing situation with Virgin Media, and because I know who he is, then I am able to identify the nature of a potential debt situation. As I am not a Virgin Media customer I don't want to put any details on a forum.  Please can someone contact me directly so that this matter can be dealt with.  I have attempted to make contact via telephone, but because I am not the account holder, they will not talk to me for data protection reasons.  It's a joke really, but I am not laughing, I am getting more and more anxious as I know the date his bill is due, and I anticipate contacting him. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Data Protection Complaint

Won’t be a DPA breach as it was the registered email at the time of account creation. It would be a DPA breach if they spoke to you and not him though as only the account owner can make changes.

i can’t remember exactly but it might be possible to change online within MyVM. If not it will need to be called in, if you advise him to speak to UK retentions (option 1 4 5, following thinking of leaving us prompts) then they are the non script readers and can potentially deal with the request.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Shafreya wrote:

i can’t remember exactly but it might be possible to change online within MyVM. If not it will need to be called in, if you advise him…

Amend email address listed in Contact details (under My Profile)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Much love Yojimbo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Aynsas, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

Whilst I'm unable to change the email address registered on an account, if the current one is yours and is connected to an active account, I can remove this so it's not used going forward. 

Your ex-partner will still need to update his details via My Virgin Media to ensure the email address isn't there. 

I have sent you a private message. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos