cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit to account for Leaving previous Broadband provider early

DaleCheese
Joining in

Hi,

I'm new to Virgin Media and have left my previous Broadband supplier early and have incurred an early leaving charge due to my contract not ending for 6 months.

I mentioned this to Virgin to which they were happy to help with. I was told on the phone that I would be sent a form to fill out which would allow me to have the early leaving charge credit onto my virgin account as a means to compensate me for leaving other supplier early.

I never received this email and so rang asking about it again, after 45mins on the phone they informed me that they will send the form out to me and it should be with me by the end of the day. I've still not received the form or any email.

I'm just curious if there is another way to contact Virgin regarding this matter, does anyone have any suggestions or help with this as I feel like another phonecall will just result in nothing again.

Thanks for your time,

Regards. Dale.

10 REPLIES 10

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I think the telephone agents are lying to you.  It's never been a VM policy to pay other companies early termination charges, and I doubt that any form exists.

If you only joined VM because somebody told you they would pay your existing suppliers ETC, then you've been mis-sold and should contact Citizens Advice.  And the promises to send out the claim form are another lie.  You didn't check out Virgin Media on Trustpilot before you joined, I take it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

As per Andrew above. 

Don't forget your 14 day cooling off period too. 

Hi, thanks for your response. It wasn't sold on this promise and it's something which I enquired about once my order date was on the calendar. They were very reassuring on the phone that this is something they do and never said no. This was on both occasions speaking to 2 different people. 

The second person said he'd go check with his manager, was gone for 5 mins, then returned to tell me it's being processed and should expect the email shortly.. seems odd that they would agree to something they don't do, why not just say no.

seems odd that they would agree to something they don't do, why not just say no.

Culture, and money.  In those places where VM locate their first line customer contact centres people see it as culturally unacceptable to offer a response of "I don't know" or "I'm working off a script, I don't know what you're talking about and my script doesn't cover the thing you want me to help with".  The money side is that those contact centres are not just offshore, they're outsourced to other companies, and those other companies want to meet certain measures such as average call handling time, number of calls resolved first time (and many other measures), so by fobbing you off with a blatant lie, you put the phone down happily, they chalk up another call as resolved and quickly.

If an agent had offered that and you'd taken account of that when agreeing a contract with VM, then even as a verbal promise it becomes legally binding and enforceable.  But under all other circumstances there's no reason for VM to pay, no legal requirement to pay, and I'll wager there's no form to complete or process to follow.  

Important edit:  You say you were told this before the connection was made and before the 14 day cooling off rights ended?  If so there might be hope, as you had the option of cancelling the VM order at that time without penalty under your consumer rights.  If you took the information about VM paying the other ISPs ETC into account as part of the decision to continue with the contract, then it becomes binding on VM.  That's because The Consumer Rights Act 2015 Section 50 part 1b  covers that - you'd agreed a contract with VM, but after you'd agreed it you took into account information provided by the company, at a time when you had options other than remaining in contract.  If this applies and you wish to assert that it does, then you should know VM will not comply easily.  You will need to make a formal complaint to VM, that complaint will be rejected, fobbed off or ignored, and you'll then need to take the matter to Ombudsman Services.  All depends on how much is at stake, I would guess.

But I still say it's not company policy, there's no process, no ETC claim form.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there DaleCheese,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the communtiy.

Apologies for the issues faced regarding this matter, can I ask the amount that was owed from your Sky contract?

Also have you received your first bill as of yet?

Let us know,

Kain

Hi Kain,

The amount owed was £57.25. I've just logged into my account on the app and it's now showing an "install credit goodwill" -£50 which I had not noticed before. Never had an email to say this was being added.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No worries, thanks for the response.

Just so we can clarify if that credit is relating to the said contract termination I've dropped you a PM.

The message will appear within the purple envelope icon.

Regards,

Kain

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Ohh, that's interesting.  Is it now VM policy to pay other companies' early termination charges?

Hi Kain 

Please can you send me a copy of this form? 

Kind regards

Laura