Menu
tzammit
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Costs Exceed Budget

Hi,

I have recently placed an order for the Ultimate Oomph package after finding that my address is serviceable on the post code checker.

Just before my install date, a pre-install engineer knocked on my door advising that a Tee extension would be required, as the original construction team place the Tee on the other side of a shared access driveway rather than on the boarder of my property. He said there should be no issue with this and sprayed a "T" where the new point should be installed.

The following day a contractor (Kier/McNicholas engineer knocked on my door advising that they don't do Tee extensions due to the need for re-cabling all the way from the cabinet (quite sure this isn't true), so in order to complete the work, a Virgin engineer would need to cut across the shared access driveway after Wayleave was agreed.

This put my order on hold, and I managed to contact one of the Area Field Manager's at Virgin who advised that they had recently agreed new rates with the contractors so the Tee extension should be viable without wayleave, if not they could cut across the drive as a last resort. He advised he would call me back once they had agreed rates and let me know what they will do. Great.

However, since then I had not heard from the manager and missed a call from the construction team who left a fairly unapologetic voicemail stating that the "Approx 20 metre T extension exceeded budget, and we are therefore making your property unserviceable".

There was no mention of the fact that we could cut across the driveway instead with Wayleave involved, they instead have just completely cancelled the order and washed their hands of it.

Personally I don't believe Virgin should be able to cable up a property and because they didn't terminate the Tee on the border of the property like they did with everyone else, they should absorb the extra cost to reach my border. Not to mention the fact that my neighbour next to me is supposedly serviceable but is even further away from the T, which mean they would have costs exceeding budget as well if they were to order.

Is there a way I can get the order re-opened and another engineer dispatched to determine whether we can cut through the drive?

Thanks

Toby

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Costs Exceed Budget

Virgin media is a private company and will only do work if its cost effective.

I know this as i am also in a non VM area and VM and BT both refuse to install here.

If they have deemed the address unserviceable your out of luck and should look for another provider

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
tzammit
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Costs Exceed Budget

I understand that it has to be cost effective, but they have cabled my area, they have installed a Tee for my house and engineers have advised the work is feasible. Surely if the contractors haven't terminated the Tee on the border of the property like they are supposed to, then this is a fault that Virgin should take up with them and take on the costs in good faith.

I wouldn't mind so much if they said the property was un-serviceable from the outset and not install a Tee for the house at all, rather than do half the work and leave it at that.

Thanks for your prompt reply though!

Toby

0 Kudos