cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract for VM finished months ago an I've now downgraded from TV and broadband to just broadband

Tumbleweed666
Tuning in

My contract finished months ago and I've let it run on till yesterday when I've downgraded from full TV package with broadband to just broadband and my latest bill was paid on 23Feb22, £87 now I thought that this was already paid in advance and TV was cut off right away this morning and when I checked email it mentioned a contract termination fee of nearly £33 for ending a contract that was already finished, has anybody any ideas, feel like just cancelling and moving elsewhere as I've 14days to change my mind, what do people think or and ideas on how to proceed????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

From some recent topics on here, if you cancel a package change in your 14 days cooling off after the change, you just go back to what you had before so then need to give 30 days' notice to cancel altogether.

The rest doesn't sound right but I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable than me to try to work that bit out for you. Probably needs the VM forum team to look at the records and break it down for you. They usually reply here within a day or two.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

From some recent topics on here, if you cancel a package change in your 14 days cooling off after the change, you just go back to what you had before so then need to give 30 days' notice to cancel altogether.

The rest doesn't sound right but I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable than me to try to work that bit out for you. Probably needs the VM forum team to look at the records and break it down for you. They usually reply here within a day or two.

Just been told that due to not being informed about the cancellation fee that it has been waivered and will be taken off my next bill. Now that's a quick resolution to a problem...if only other companies were as quick to rectify problems that their customers have.

TresFrustre
Up to speed

Tumbleweed666

Although your 18 month contract term has completed you automatically get put on to a 30 day rolling contract.

As I understand it, you need to give 30 days notice to remove one of the elements of the package. If you requested the TV part to be switched off immediately, you won't have given the required 30 days notice. Therefore, you would be subject to a charge equivalent to a 30 day early disconnection fee for the TV. However, the next month's bill should show a refund for the period you have already been billed for the TV service when it's been disconnected.

Carefully check the next couple of bills. Not everything promised by phone seems to be reflected in future billing.

If I'm wrong in my understanding, hopefully a VIP or Forum Team member will correct.

Was it made clear to you that you're entering into a new 18 month minimum term contract?  There's recent examples on this forum where customers have claimed this wasn't done.

Thanks very much for the reply, it just seemed weird that you pay in advance and your contract is up and they still have the cash rolling in, similar to phone companies..got everybody by ***** n ***********, Yes I was told that it would create another 18month contract and price would automatically go up at the end of contract but I was not told about a cancellation fee and the person waived the cancellation fee...so I will watch the next few bills and thanks very much for the information that will be handy in the future.

Hi Tumbleweed666,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear that you were not given the correct information when cancelling the TV side of your package. We can understand the frustration caused, especially when you encountered an early disconnection fee for doing this.

As our valued member @TresFrustre has explained perfectly you will get a refund for any advance charges for the TV services on your bill.

Please keep an eye on your next bill and come back to us if you feel anything is incorrect.

Kind regards Jodi.