cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract extension offer

djh99
Tuning in

On 17th Jan I received an email from Virgin with an offer to extend my tv/broadband/phone package for a further 18 months, for exactly the same package and same price I currently pay.

This was surprising as I still have 5 months left on my existing contract. I’m happy with the terms I’m on now so decided to extend rather than get into the inevitable haggling process in 5 months time.

I signed up online and received the contract documents by email confirming a start date of 20th Jan. I’ve not heard anything since though and my account online has no record of this.

I contacted customer services yesterday to see what’s going on and they advised me to carry on with the existing contract as this has “the best terms and better price” - even though the new contract is exactly the same! I keep saying I want the take up the offer of the contract extension but they are adamant I stick with the existing one.

Anyone idea what has gone one here? Have VM messed up and sent me the renewal too early and are now trying to back track. It’s a very frustrating experience dealing with CS as they just constantly “assure” me the current deal is better - even though it’s exactly the same!

12 REPLIES 12

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @djh99,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm very sorry to hear that there's some confusion and complications surrounding your package. Can you confirm when and how you informed the team that you wish to renew/take out your bundle again?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Probably a screw up by VM's systems, but even so if the company offered and you agreed, and the company confirmed, then those terms are binding under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. 

I'm sure forum staff can sort this out.

Hi Zach_R

Virgin emailed me (completely out of the blue) on 17th January with the offer of an extension. Extract below

“We wanted to give you a heads-up that the offer price on your Virgin Media services will be ending soon.

Good news though – we’re happy to offer you the same great Virgin Media services at the same offer price on a new 18-month contract (prices may rise during contract). All you need to do is renew your Virgin Media contract today using our quick and easy one-click link.”

I clicked the link and signed up. The contract was then emailed to me along with a separate email confirming payment schedule and start date (20th Jan). Extract from that email below:

Thanks for choosing Virgin Media. Now you can enjoy a package that it's just right for you. Because one size doesn't fit us all, right?

Order reference:
(I’ve Removed)
Order date:
Tuesday 17 January 23
New Services:

Removed Services:

Installation address:
(I’ve Removed)
Estimated activation date:
Friday 20 January 23

Payment summary
New monthly payment£60.0

You’ll get your first bill within a month of your new package starting. It may vary a little from your new monthly rate, as it covers:

• The days between your services starting and the bill being generated (meaning you may be due a charge or credit on the first bill)
  • A month in advance

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there,

Can I clarify what current package you're on?

Also when you contacted the team did they advise that they could process the price offered?

Regards,

Kain

It’s the ultimate volt bundle.

I contacted CS by WhatsApp yesterday (too long a wait over the phone). Frustrating experience as long delays between answers and then people changing shifts. They wouldn’t even acknowledge or entertain that a new contract offer had been made despite me sending screen shots. Same response from everyone I was in contact with, that I was on the best contract already and should contact them when this runs out in 5 months. Eventually got disconnected from the chat when I went to bed!

as far as I’m concerned I do have a new contract in place (and have a copy of it here)

@Kain_W wrote:

Thanks for the response there,

Can I clarify what current package you're on?

Also when you contacted the team did they advise that they could process the price offered?

Regards,

Kain, irrelevant really, the Law, specifically Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015, doesn’t have any exceptions for ‘this doesn’t apply in the case of Virgin Media being terminally incompetent’. An offer has been made and accepted, job done, contact made - VM have messed up, tough, every Court in the land absolutely WILL come down in the customer’s favour.

Now, may I make a suggestion? The fact that you, as a bone-fide agent of VM are asking the question with a sort of implication that it might not be honoured, could be construed as an attempt by VM as a company to misdirect their customers as to their rights. Now that’s illegal and will get VM into a whole world of hurt, now ask yourself, if push comes to shove, will VM support you and defend you, whatever they might promise, or hang you out to dry? You might want to discretely and unofficially mention this to your other forum team members!

The offer stands, VM are legally obliged to honour it, not on the system, can’t do it for <insert BS reason here>, fine, tell that to the Judge (in extremis of course), see how far it gets!

Thank you for that information djh99.

To be able to investigate further I will need to access the account. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin

VM are asking the question with a sort of implication that it might not be honoured, could be construed as an attempt by VM as a company to misdirect their customers as to their rights.

I think that horse may have already bolted…this is the feedback that I received via WhatsApp:

“I advise you to stay on same deal as its best price.

My shift has come to an end, I will transfer you to next available agent and they will take over the chat immediately and resolve your query.”

”having checked the account I see that currently you are paying 60 pounds and once contract ends on 29/6/23 you can contact us and we will offer you best package with less price as per your convenient. If we review package now you will lose discount and end up paying more.”

This despite the new contract stating exactly the same monthly payment of £60/month and the initial covering email also stating:

Good news though – we’re happy to offer you the same great Virgin Media services at the same offer price on a new 18-month contract”

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You can stand on your rights about what you were offered and accepted, that is legally binding (formal complaint, then go to Ombudsman Services when VM fluff the complaint).

However, your new price will go up by 14% of the standard undiscounted rate in April (so assume around 20% added to what your discounted offer here was), and then again by circa 10% of base next April (so perhaps 12% on what you're paying at that time), when you'll still have a few months of this contract to run.

Might be time to consider cooling off rights and alternative ISPs.