cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract ended last year, can I create a whole new bundle and select the things I want and don't want?

ASmith100
Settling in

My contract ended last year but I am still carrying on with my existing package.

Do I have the option of creating a whole new bundle by going here (TV, Broadband and Phone Deals & Packages | Virgin Media) or is my only way to change it by going to 'my upgrades and offers' here (My Upgrades and Offers | Virgin Media)?

6 REPLIES 6

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi ASmith10,

You don't say whether you have a TIVO or V6 box, but if it's the older TIVO and you have VM broadband it might be worth your while asking for a free upgrade to a V6. It's faster and has a few more apps than the older TIVO.

By speaking to retentions you should be able to negotiate a new contract to on your own terms.

You can check out the prices and what's available on the following page <<< Here >>> 

The lower price is the new customer price which you won't qualify for, the higher price is the out of contract price. By negotiating you should get something in between, if you do call then you can have a price point in mind to barter with.

Have a look at the Mixit (Big) bundle if you don't watch a lot of channels, with that bundle you can add Personal Picks which are grouped into Entertainment & Drama, Entertainment & Documentaries, Entertainment & Lifestyle, Entertainment & Sport Lite and Kids categories.

The kids Personal Pick is £5 a month.  With the other Personal Picks, the first one you add is an extra £7 a month, any additional ones are £5 a month. You can cancel the Personal Pick at any time by giving 30 days notice. It won't affect your contract or any discounts you have.

There is a selection of Personal Picks <<< Here >>> 

Once you've decided, or have a good idea of what you want and the cost your prepared to pay  call  150 from a Virgin phone, or 0345 454 1111, options 1,1 and 4 (thinking of leaving usbut best to call between 8am and 10am to avoid call queues, or late afternoon around tea time

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The first of those links looks like new customer only pricing, and the company won't readily offer you that.  The second link to My Upgrades and Offers is a very incomplete subset of all available deals, and usually offers paltry discounts.  If you can't bear haglling and hate dealing with VM by phone, then the upgrades and offers links usually work, but won't be best value by a long chalk.  I'd suggest as follows:

1. Do your research.  Check out price comparison web sites like Uswitch for the cheapest comparable Openreach ISP package you'd consider - they will be discounted and offer good prices.  Over an 18 month contract this is a circa £700-1,000 commitment, approach this with the diligence you'd use for making a purchase of that size.

2. Phone VM, and select options that will take you through to "retentions" who deal with cancellations. Know at the start of the call what you ideally want the price/bundle outcome to be, and also what you wuld settle for.  You need to have these boundary values firmly fixed because you won't usually be able to negotiate a deal and leave it on the table whilst you consider it, that's not how the system works. The agent you are dealing with will be paid a bonus if they can retain you, but won't be paid the bonus if you end the call with "I'd like to think about that", and if you phone again the next agent doesn't have to offer you the same deal.

3. Explain that your current package is too expensive, and you hope they can help because you're seriously considering the offer from Company Z, and that's only £Y a month, and would save you £XXX over 18 months.  Ignore any "throw ins" that you don't want such as (perhaps) a free SIM or a channel package you wouldn't have chosen, or a speed upgrade that you'll never make use of.  Don't bother referring to VM's new customer prices or any personal perceptions of fairness, that doesn't count, all that counts is what those other companies will offer you, and the prospect that you might take your business elsewhere.

4. If you're going to accept the VM offer, get the agent to run through all important aspects including speed, any TV bundles (and channels important to you), any landline and landline add ons, and make sure the discount is for the full term of 18 months, so that all this should be recorded on VM's systems in case there's any problem later on.

5. If VM's best offer is still above your minimum and the Openreach alternatives are adequate, be prepared to say "no" and walk away and cancel.  I always recommend to only cancel when a new Openreach line is installed and working, but some people prefer to try and avoid having an overlap.  During your month's notice you might get an outbound retention call that's willing to offer you a stonkingly good deal, and if that happens then you can cancel the new connection before it is installed.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can use the "my upgrades and offers" to see what offers are available to you, by all means. I won't be at all surprised if it gives you an error message, or tells you to call in. The VM shop link you've given, is for new customers so you can't expect to get those prices.

Your best bet, is to have a play with build a bundle page - follow the "I'm moving here and am new to Virgin", and then disregard the references to 360, again that's for new customers and entirely voluntary for existing ones. You can build whatever combination of services & products you want, and the site will show you the standard price and new customer price. The new-customer price is only of passing interest because you're not one.

But armed with the standard price, you can call through to VM Retentions (150 from a VM phone, or 0345 4541111 from any other phone) and negotiate for new 18month contract in exchange for a small discount on the standard price.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would encourage you to not use the 150 option 4 thing for negotiating a better price.  They don't seem to have much teeth.

Actually give your thirty days notice and you will be bombarded with great offers and discounts via outbound calls trying to keep you.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually give your thirty days notice and you will be bombarded with great offers and discounts via outbound calls trying to keep you.

That does often happen, but is by no means a racing certainty. Even when it does, it's often a one-time only offer. If you give 30days notice, you must be prepared to carry through with it and have alternative suppliers installed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

"That does often happen, but is by no means a racing certainty. Even when it does, it's often a one-time only offer. If you give 30days notice, you must be prepared to carry through with it and have alternative suppliers installed."

I am certain a game of chicken could easily be played and the 30 days cancelled.