cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract end date problem affects my chances of better package deal

hesnotthemessia
On our wavelength

March 6 2021 Virgin Media Care email:-
We’ve been doing some checks and spotted you’re not eligible for an Oomph bundle.
We’ve now made some changes to sort this for you.
What’s changing?
We’ve changed your bundle to [Maxit] which starts from [05/04/2021] at a cost of {£66}
per month. The broadband speed boost you had as part of your Oomph bundle has
been removed. Your new broadband speed is [100]Mbps.
We have applied a credit to your account to ensure you’re paying the right amount.

As explained in the above email from Virgin Media Care, Virgin Media sold me the Bigger Oomph Bundle that I was not eligible for. They than changed me back to my Bigger Bundle.
If Virgin Media advise me that I am not eligible for the Bigger Oomph Bundle and so refuse me it, then surely I shouldn't still be tied to the Bigger Oomph Bundle contract length of 18 months and it's end date of 29 June 2022. Virgin Media should have reverted me back to my previous Bigger Bundle and, as such, they should have also returned me back to it's contract terms of 12 months ending 8 June 2021.

What I have also noticed is that Virgin Media haven't updated my "Your Virgin Media Contract" details as it still shows that I have the "Bigger Oomph bundle" with M200 + 5GB Oomph SIM. The "My Package" page shows my current package details correctly with the Bigger Bundle M100 + no SIM.

Had an online chat with Virgin Media helpline today. They sympathise with my situation but advised that my current Virgin Media account options didn't offer me a better package this month. But I told them that my current Virgin Media account shows that my contract ends 29 June 2022. I advised that, if Virgin Media had done what they should have done and put me back to my previous contract of 12 months ending 8 June 2021, then I would now be in the position to be able to obtain a better package deal.

Virgin Media helpline have advised me to contact Customer Relations tomorrow and that my Virgin Media account details have been updated with details of the online chat.

Here are the contracts, in date order, that I have had with Virgin Media:-

Residential Service Contract
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre
12 months ending 28 Jan 2020

Upgraded to:-

Bigger Bundle
Maxit TV + M100+ Line rental
12 month contract ending 11 May 2021

Bigger Bundle updated with Promotional Offer Discount to cover for error in the above Bigger Bundle deal:-

Bigger Bundle
Same as previous Bigger Bundle:- Maxit TV + M100 + line rental
12 month contract ending 8 June 2021

Upgrade from Bigger Bundle to Bigger Oomph Bundle:-

Bigger Oomph Bundle
18 month contract ending 29 June 2022

Any advise would be much appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You're quite correct, VM can't unilaterally impose a new contract end date, or principal terms of their choosing without your agreement.  

These "didn't get the deal I agreed" situations happen from time to time.  However, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was agreed, whether they now like it or not.  I'll flag this for the forum staff who I hope can pick this up and get it sorted - by which I mean that you get exactly the deal you were promised, not some less attractive compromise (given that VM have failed to honour an agreed contract, it is your choice to require they honour the Oomph deal at the agreed price, or demand reversion to the old terms - but choice is yours, not theirs). 

The forum staff are normally very helpful getting these things sorted, and that is the cheapest and quickest resolution for both parties, and the best way of trying to recover some goodwill in a bad situation.  If they can't get it sorted in that complete manner, you need to search, then there are formal complaint and escalation routes that will force the company to comply with the relevant consumer law, but we can worry about that if it becomes necessary.

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi hesnotthemessia,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Really sorry to hear about the dispute over the package and the length of contract that is showing on your account, and that this is stopping your from negotiating a new deal.

Due to this we would like to take a closer look at your account and see if we can get the contract dates changed back to the original dates for you.

Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Thankyou for your help Andrew-G.  Very much appreciated.

Just sent you a private message Jodi with the details as requested.  Thankyou.

Thanks hesnotthemessia,

I've just received this so I will reply shortly.

Kind regards Jodi. 

Please private message me Jodi.

Virgin Media haven't updated my "Your Virgin Media Contract" details as it still shows that I have the "Bigger Oomph bundle" with M200 + 5GB Oomph SIM. My contract still shows the end date of 29 June 2022 which relates to this "Bigger Oomph bundle".

I have to reduce my bill and so need my contract details to be correct, showing my current package and, most importantly, the end date, correctly.  As discussed previously in this thread, I should have been returned back to the terms of my previous contract dated 9th June 2020 (which ended 8 June 2021).