cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contract Renewal or Not

Derwentmailman
Dialled in

Am currently on a 'Big Ooomph bundle' coming to the end of my 18 month minimum period (last day of this contract is 13th March.  On the 14th I would roll over to a rolling 30 day contract and obviously more expensive (will also be difficult to justify paying given our circumstances and financial belt-tighterning etc).  The service we have had in the 17 months so far has been very good but will become unaffordable after March.  I have used Mobile Broadband prior to the VM package and there is FFTC already available now with the FTTP infrastructure being built at my local exchange now according to Openreach (and I have seen them upgrading cable infrastructure at the street level as well).  So there are suitable choices out there available (or about to be) - most at a considerably cheaper cost. 

I know that I need to speak to VM customer services to either cease the services provided by them giving 30 days notice OR to haggle for a new contract.

Q1)  Does it need to be EXACTLY 30 days notice or can it be 31 or 32 etc?

Q2)  If exactly 30 days notice, is it from the last day of existing contract (13th March) i.e. 11th February (Saturday)?  OR is it from the first day of new rolling contract (14th March) i.e. 12th February (Sunday)

Q3) Do VM operate on a weekend, and are the phones manned 0800-2000 SAT and 0900-1700 SUN ?

Q4) Re the mobile phone aspect of this Oomph package, would giving VM 30 days notice cease the mobile at said date as well or who would I need to contact to cease that part of the package - Virgin Mobile or O2?

Q5)  Best time to call VM (first thing I assume) and the best number, is it still 0345 454 1111?

The ideal would be for VM to give me another contract to start from 14th March but it would need to at or very close to my present contract cost.  Not expecting it TBH and like I say I know there are cheaper alternatives available for the short-medium term. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Q1)  Does it need to be EXACTLY 30 days notice or can it be 31 or 32 etc?

Minimum 30, maximum 60 days notice.  legally there's no max, but that appears to be hard coded into VM's systems.  Note that a few agents are idiots and think it needs to be exactly 30.

Q2)  If exactly 30 days notice, is it from the last day of existing contract (13th March) i.e. 11th February (Saturday)?  OR is it from the first day of new rolling contract (14th March) i.e. 12th February (Sunday)

30 days runs from when you serve notice by phone or post.  So you could phone for example 38 days before your current deal ends and serve notice that you want your contract to finish on 13 March.

Q3) Do VM operate on a weekend, and are the phones manned 0800-2000 SAT and 0900-1700 SUN ?

Broadly speaking yes.  

Q4) Re the mobile phone aspect of this Oomph package, would giving VM 30 days notice cease the mobile at said date as well or who would I need to contact to cease that part of the package - Virgin Mobile or O2?

You'd need to contact O2 separately.  Whilst that should change, they operate as separate companies other than for new bundle sales.

Q5)  Best time to call VM (first thing I assume) and the best number, is it still 0345 454 1111?

Yep, 08:00 is widely seen as the best time to phone.  Bear in mind with the stonking inflation plus increase and everybody having the cancel or renegotiate opportunity that getting through will be a challenge.  

The ideal would be for VM to give me another contract to start from 14th March but it would need to at or very close to my present contract cost.  Not expecting it TBH and like I say I know there are cheaper alternatives available for the short-medium term. 

Well, look out for the inflation busting price rise that's imminent this April, and then a further rise in a year's time that next year you won't have the option to reject due to the change in VM's T&C.  Best deal is probably by cancelling and hoping to get an outbound retentions call, but the point about inflation still applies, and the bigger your discount, the higher your personal increase is.  Here's a worked example: 

VM currently quote the introductory offer for the Big Bundle at £29.99 a month, and the undiscounted price is £65 a month.  From VM's point of view that's not 53.8% discount, that's a fixed £35.01 discount.  If the standard rate changes, your underlying price gets increased, and then VM keep taking off your £35.01.  So a 13.8% increase - assuming that's the rate VM apply to this bundle - on £65 will be an extra £8.97, when that's applied to the £29.99 bill, what that customer pays is going up by 29.9%.  Since VM like to keep standard pricing in round numbers, the actual increase varies a bit on each bundle, but the effect is much the same as outlined here, maybe you are on the Big Bundle.  Now see what happens next year:   

If we guess RPI is 6.1% between now and early next year, then that's a 10% rise to the basic price.  For anybody still "in contract" for the Big Bundle deal by that time, then the maths are as follows:

March 2023: Discounted rate £29.99.  New price is (£65.00 x 1.138) - £35.01 = new discounted price £38.96, new standard price £73.97, effective price rise 29.9% 

March 2024: Discounted rate now £38.96.  New price is (£73.97 x 1.10) - £35.01 = new discounted price £46.36 (new standard price £81.37), effective price rise 19.0%

If negotiating with Retentions, here's my suggestions.  None of this worries me though, I'm now with a smaller customer-focused ISP on a fixed price deal for the remainder of this year, and my VM equipment return bag has just arrived.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Derwentmailman wrote:

Am currently on a 'Big Ooomph bundle' coming to the end of my 18 month minimum period (last day of this contract is 13th March.  On the 14th I would roll over to a rolling 30 day contract and obviously more expensive (will also be difficult to justify paying given our circumstances and financial belt-tighterning etc).  The service we have had in the 17 months so far has been very good but will become unaffordable after March.  I have used Mobile Broadband prior to the VM package and there is FFTC already available now with the FTTP infrastructure being built at my local exchange now according to Openreach (and I have seen them upgrading cable infrastructure at the street level as well).  So there are suitable choices out there available (or about to be) - most at a considerably cheaper cost. 

I know that I need to speak to VM customer services to either cease the services provided by them giving 30 days notice OR to haggle for a new contract.

Q1)  Does it need to be EXACTLY 30 days notice or can it be 31 or 32 etc?

It needs to be a minimum of 30 days, although VM will accept up to 60 days notice.  There have been posts on teh forum where phone agents have advised exactly 30 days - this is totally incorrect.

If you want to give exactly 30 days notice then call on the 11th.

VM operate 7  days a week -  Monday to Friday 8am until 9pm;  and Saturday and Sunday, 8am until 6pm

If you want to keep the mobile number you would be best requesting a PAC code - if you did negotiate a new deal which was a volt package this would include an O2 sim and you could use the PAC code to transfer the number across to O2

The best time to call is indeed around around 8am when lines first open - it's free call if you dial 150 from a VM landline or mobile, or standard rate which is included in most calls packages if you call 0345 454 1111

When you do call you should speak to Retentions (thinking of leaving us) they are generally based in the UK, and have a greater degree of knowledge and flexibility, along with a larger range of discounts than the front line agents. Hopefully you can negotiate a deal with them that's suitable to your pocket and needs in exchange for a new contract.

Do your homework first and price up similar deals with other providers. Also determine what you actually need from VM.  Do you need the current level of speed? 

Regarding  your current sim card - VM now have the Volt packages which  double your data and broadband speed, so it might be worthwhile taking out a lower broadband speed on a Volt bundle which would double your broadband speed .

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Q1)  Does it need to be EXACTLY 30 days notice or can it be 31 or 32 etc?

Minimum 30, maximum 60 days notice.  legally there's no max, but that appears to be hard coded into VM's systems.  Note that a few agents are idiots and think it needs to be exactly 30.

30 days runs from when you serve notice by phone or post.  So you could phone for example 38 days before your current deal ends and serve notice that you want your contract to finish on 13 March.

Broadly speaking yes.  

You'd need to contact O2 separately.  Whilst that should change, they operate as separate companies other than for new bundle sales.

Yep, 08:00 is widely seen as the best time to phone.  Bear in mind with the stonking inflation plus increase and everybody having the cancel or renegotiate opportunity that getting through will be a challenge.  

Well, look out for the inflation busting price rise that's imminent this April, and then a further rise in a year's time that next year you won't have the option to reject due to the change in VM's T&C.  Best deal is probably by cancelling and hoping to get an outbound retentions call, but the point about inflation still applies, and the bigger your discount, the higher your personal increase is.  Here's a worked example: 

VM currently quote the introductory offer for the Big Bundle at £29.99 a month, and the undiscounted price is £65 a month.  From VM's point of view that's not 53.8% discount, that's a fixed £35.01 discount.  If the standard rate changes, your underlying price gets increased, and then VM keep taking off your £35.01.  So a 13.8% increase - assuming that's the rate VM apply to this bundle - on £65 will be an extra £8.97, when that's applied to the £29.99 bill, what that customer pays is going up by 29.9%.  Since VM like to keep standard pricing in round numbers, the actual increase varies a bit on each bundle, but the effect is much the same as outlined here, maybe you are on the Big Bundle.  Now see what happens next year:   

If we guess RPI is 6.1% between now and early next year, then that's a 10% rise to the basic price.  For anybody still "in contract" for the Big Bundle deal by that time, then the maths are as follows:

March 2023: Discounted rate £29.99.  New price is (£65.00 x 1.138) - £35.01 = new discounted price £38.96, new standard price £73.97, effective price rise 29.9% 

March 2024: Discounted rate now £38.96.  New price is (£73.97 x 1.10) - £35.01 = new discounted price £46.36 (new standard price £81.37), effective price rise 19.0%

If negotiating with Retentions, here's my suggestions.  None of this worries me though, I'm now with a smaller customer-focused ISP on a fixed price deal for the remainder of this year, and my VM equipment return bag has just arrived.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Derwentmailman

Thank you for taking the time to post in regards to your package, the cost and your options going forward.

Once a contract expires, you will go onto a rolling 30 day contract. This would likely be at a higher price due to promotional discounts expiring, these are noted on your bills each month. You have the option to give 30 days notice to cancel prior to the contract end date if you wish to cancel.

We aren't able to make any changes to packages via the forums but If you can give the team a call on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 4 this will get you through to the contracts team who will be able to look into this further for you.

The mobile aspect of the current deal would need to be cancelled also unless moving to the equivalent Volt bundle which also includes a SIM from O2.

We're extremely busy at the moment so unable to advise the best time to call, all we can suggest is to keep trying or use one of the methods here.

Rob

Just a sitrep on what happened with my situation.

Rang VM cutomer services via 150 and got through to a CS agent immediately shortly after 0800 today .  This was 31 days before my contract runs out. 

I'd spent a few days detailing what my options were and all were cheaper than sitting and doing nothing.  I had actually geared myself up for a long frustrating series of phone calls, being cut-off etc etc.  Curiously got a '£4 reduction' offer just for picking up the phone seemingly.  I was also quite clear on what my priorities were prior to making the call and during the call itself.

Ended up being offered the same package effectively that I'm on now for a very small total increase of £4 (250M speed, TV mix, Basic Home Phone + an O2 SIM package i.e. the Big Volt Bundle rather than the OOmph bundle I am now on).  I asked several times whether the contract price to VM (£37 for 18m commencing on 14th March) would remain the same for the entirety of the contract.  I kept getting the same answer back that it would be - I do hope this is true but this does seem at odds with what I believed to be the case.  The contract for O2 was reasonable enough but was advised of the CPI+3.5% increase post April on that part of the package.

All in all a quick and easy interaction with VM customer services giving me a package price the same as that available for new customers and maintaining the services that I currently have.

Hi Derwentmailman,

Thank you for the update. Our contract prices may be subject to change during a customer's minimum term, you can view our full T&Cs here.

If you do have any questions or concerns at all about your package, we'll be more than happy to help. You can view the full details of your contract online here

Beth

@Beth_G wrote:

Hi Derwentmailman,

Thank you for the update. Our contract prices may be subject to change during a customer's minimum term, you can view our full T&Cs here.

If you do have any questions or concerns at all about your package, we'll be more than happy to help. You can view the full details of your contract online here

Thank you for your reply.

I am now a little concerned that the package I agreed to earlier today (commencing 12th March 2023) will be subject to a CPI+3.5% increase from 1st April 2023 (and Apile 2024) as mentioned earlier in this thread.  This was in spite of me pointedly basically asking the same question several times about in-contract increases post April 1st!  The reply to all my questions were confirmations that the £37 payable to VM for the package would stay at £37 for the duration of the contract offered.

Have I been duped? 

Hi Derwentmailman,

Many of our customers who join us take promotional offers for a period of time which will be fully honoured. These customers will all receive a price rise communication, but the 2023 price rise won’t be applied until after their offer price promotion ends. Their communication from us will explain this. 

Beth

Reading some of the other threads in this forum I think I have been duped somewhat.  The new contract just states 'Discount' rather than 'fixed' so looks like a phone call to apply the 14-day cooling off...

@Beth_G wrote:

Hi Derwentmailman,

Many of our customers who join us take promotional offers for a period of time which will be fully honoured. These customers will all receive a price rise communication, but the 2023 price rise won’t be applied until after their offer price promotion ends. Their communication from us will explain this.

Sorry to be a pest but can you comment on what I see on the new contract 

Discount.jpg

Is this £37 fixed until September 2024 or will it be subject to any April increases (in 2023 and 2024)? 👍