Menu
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Contract Renewal Fun and Games

Stunned!. 

So my contract comes to an end next week. And for the last 7 days I've been trying to contact someone at Virgin Media in order to organise a renewal but due to call back promises not being fulfilled, supposed system outages (so please call back later) and outright wrong misinformation from different agents, this hasn't happened. I made an official complaint but the agent was more interested in getting a new contract sorted rather than apologising for all the messing around and miscommunication over the last week.

Anyway, I'm currently paying £44 a month for my package until it ends next week. However, if I was to renew my contract and keep everything the same, I'm now expected to pay £63 per month. That's an increase of £21 a month for the exact same services I already have! I've been a customer at this address for 8 years and 3 years at my previous address. I also have a Virgin Mobile contract at £38 a month. 

When I went to the website and tried to build the same package, it offered me £54 a month. Still £10 a month more for the same services I already have but at least not £21. Also, for £3 more I could increase my broadband speed to 350MB. When I eventually got through to someone on the phone and asked why there was all this (seemingly deliberate) misquoting and confusing misinformation, I was told the £54 offer was for new customers only. I asked why that was. Wouldn't it be more logical to look after the loyal customers you already have had for years, than constantly trying to groom new customers with far lower prices or hard gifts like XBOX's and TV's like I've seen in the past. Charging an existing customer who's been with you for about 10 years, 50% more a month for the same services in order to renew their contract is a no brainer and makes as much sense as a square wheel to me personally!

So... I've come on here to see if anyone else has encountered this and for any advice on how they handled or would handle this situation. Oh and if I don't either renew my contract or leave by next week though, I'll start getting charged £79 apparently, so time is kind of a factor. Seriously when did Virgin start getting so greedy and manipulative?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
madyorky
Tuning in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Contract Renewal Fun and Games

try using the web chat feature.. I did and it was good
0 Kudos
dante01
Well-informed
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Whether you like it or not, the lower price you've seen is an introductory price that is only applicable for the first 12 months of a new customers contract. The price will be the same as yours would be without any loyalty discounts after this. You more than likely also received such a deal when you first subscribed to Virgin Media?

You unfortunately have to renegotiate any loyalty discount you had after your fixed term contract expires. Loyalty discounts don't last forever. They should, but they dont. It is ordinarilly suggested you go the "thinking of leaving us" route when contacting customer services about renegotiating a discount even if not actually wanting to leave. The person you'd get to converse with should have the authority to give you a discount or offer you a better deal?

0 Kudos
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Yes I know they don't last forever. But that £63 a month quote I was offered was WITH a discount added! lol Without a discount, I would apparently be paying £79 a month. So even with a discount added, I'm still expected to pay £20 more a month for the exact same services from next week despite being with them for 8 years and more.

I did go down the "thinking of leaving us" path on the phone menu and was pleasantly surprised to get through to a UK-based representative but it was the same outcome and same thing on offer. So "£20 extra a month for the same services, like it or lump it..." seems to be the attitude from them therefore it's looking like after all these years I'm going to have to cut my losses. Despite the criticisms Virgin often gets, I don't ever remember them being quite this bad in all honesty. I wonder what's going on over there?

PS to madyorky, I've tried that but the chat window never seems to open for me whenever I log on. I always have to phone. In fact on one occasion, it told me that my issue couldn't be dealt with by chat and I HAD to in fact phone. Madness! lol
0 Kudos
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Literally overwhelmed by the number of Virgin Media representatives answering to this thread and attempting to try and sort this too btw! LMAO!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi sam_soong

Thanks for getting in touch and apologies for any delay in response. 

Before we progress with looking in to your query, have you had an opportunity to speak to a member of our team?

Let me know and I will be happy to help. 

Thank you 

Nat
0 Kudos
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Not on here no. After almost a week, you're the first representative who's even bothered to contact me on here.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I apologise for any delay in response. The Community pages are not an instant reply service but we will always be with you as soon as possible. 

Have you spoken to an adviser over the phone since you posted?

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
sam_soong
Up to speed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, were they able to assist you with your concerns regarding your package?

If not, let me know and I will be happy to help. 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos