cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contesting final bill amount and termination fees

lilibet123
Joining in

I moved home in December, and informed Virgin Media so that I could transfer my contract to my new address. However, the bandwidth in my new flat was 15mbps whereas I'm paying for I pay for 250. Virgin Media did not respect its minimum download speed guarantee, so I explored option to stop the contract.

That's how I noticed that Virgin Media issued a new contract, with a fully renewed 18-month commitment period, instead of keeping the old terms as it was supposed to. In this new contract, there was a 14 day cooling-off period mentioned during which there would be no termination fee. 

I contacted the customer service to request the end of the service according to the 14-day cooling off period that would allow no early termination fee. The customer service confirmed by a written message that my final bill would be £70.40, with a refund of £28.93 that would be done directly on my account.

I now have received my final bill which is £327.60 ! This amount was never mentioned to me before

Anyone knows what my options are?

2 REPLIES 2

lilibet123
Joining in

I moved home in December and informed Virgin Media to transfer my contract. In my new flat, the bandwidth was 15-40 mbps whereas I pay for 250mbps, so almost 10 times more. Virgin Media didn't fulfil its minimum speed guarantee, but it takes lots of effort and time to use this reason to stop the contract as I would have had to troubleshoot with them for a whole month. So I looked for other options.

That's how I noticed that Virgin Media issued a new contract instead of continuing the old one. I should have had only 12month commitment but it was renewed with the new start date, and a full 18-month commitment. No term other than my address had changed so Virgin Media should have kept the old terms and that was completely without my consent. At the bottom of this new contract, there was a mention of a 14-day cooling off period clause to cancel the contract without early termination fee.

So I contacted the customer service to activate this clause, and terminate the contract. The agent confirmed (and I have a written proof) that my final bill would be £70.40, with £28.93 returned to me via bank transfer.

However I just received a final bill of £327.60 !

Anyone knows what are my options?

Hi @lilibet123 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Sorry to hear of this contract dispute, also to hear of any low speeds when the services were in your new property.

Normally, unless a new deal agreed, then it's a continious contract from the old property to the new one. What happens is we may need to put it on at either full length or full price to get it on the system, then make any amendments after it. However, in both scenarios, we should have advised this for the avoidance of any doubt. 

I will send you a PM though so this can be investigated and a complaint resolution reached. 

Best wishes,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill