Menu
inazar
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Considering Leaving Virgin Media after 20 years

Good Evening,

After 20 years of being a loyal customer of Virgin Media, Telewest, Yorkshire Cable etc etc, I feel like I've finally had enough of the company, the lack of loyalty and customer service and believe leaving would be beneficial.

I currently pay £73.50 for a landline I don't really need (weekends), supposedly 350megabit broadband (which a virgin employee arrogantly told me I should definitely hit above 80megabit on a wired connection when I just don't) and the Full House TV. We have one additional box, which we were forced to change to Tivo V6 even though we didn't want to.

I recently called and advised that I didn't feel I was receiving £73.50 worth of service, and on the basis of affordability I felt I should leave unless VM could offer me a new package (even if it was reduced services).

I was told that the advisor had no power to change anything, despite no longer being in my contract period. And if they did, all loyalty discounts (a whole £10.50 a month WOW) would be taken off.

I feel hard done by, given years and years of loyal custom at 3 different properties. 

Comparatively, how are other people getting on and how do they feel about the price they pay compared to the services received? Do you think I am on a good deal, and am I being ridiculous? I'm always reading forums/hotukdeals and everyone else seems to be paying much less than me, that's for sure!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Considering Leaving Virgin Media after 20 years

@inazar wrote:

Good Evening,

After 20 years of being a loyal customer of Virgin Media, Telewest, Yorkshire Cable etc etc, I feel like I've finally had enough of the company, the lack of loyalty and customer service and believe leaving would be beneficial.

Theres your decision right there.

I currently pay £73.50 for a landline I don't really need (weekends), supposedly 350megabit broadband (which a virgin employee arrogantly told me I should definitely hit above 80megabit on a wired connection when I just don't) and the Full House TV. We have one additional box, which we were forced to change to Tivo V6 even though we didn't want to.

V+ and V+ HD have been replaced with V6 free of charge? I dont get why thats an issue?

I recently called and advised that I didn't feel I was receiving £73.50 worth of service, and on the basis of affordability I felt I should leave unless VM could offer me a new package (even if it was reduced services).

I was told that the advisor had no power to change anything, despite no longer being in my contract period. And if they did, all loyalty discounts (a whole £10.50 a month WOW) would be taken off.

Umm yeah. Ive been a VM customer longer than you, spend a lot of my free time helping on here and have a more expensive package. I DONT get anywhere near a 10 quid discount. Lucky you.

I feel hard done by, given years and years of loyal custom at 3 different properties.

3 installs at 3 properties makes you expensive to service compared to me, Ive had the same connection for longer at one property. But your still paying less than me.

Comparatively, how are other people getting on and how do they feel about the price they pay compared to the services received? Do you think I am on a good deal, and am I being ridiculous? I'm always reading forums/hotukdeals and everyone else seems to be paying much less than me, that's for sure!

Theres no point in me trying to convince you that your package is value for money if you feel it isnt. For sure you will save money in the first year by switching. You'll not get 350 down anywhere else, to me thats worth a premium. YMMV.

On a separate note if you are paying for 350 and seeing 80 all the time, sounds like your NIC is limited to 10/100 rather than gigabit speeds.

Jomodu
Up to speed
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Considering Leaving Virgin Media after 20 yearson

I think you are on a good enough deal for £73.50. I have the same package as you except 100mb broadband instead of 350mb. I pay £84.50 now which I think is excessive. I would be Ok paying £75 and would go on contract.  I haven’t been on contract for years.

Thanks for the post as it is something I can measure against and give retentions a ring.